Free birth? For it or against it?

I have been doing a lot of thinking and researching about birthing options and ran across a "free birth" website online.  No medical interventions, no Dr.s, no Midwives, no hospital, no birth center.  I am interested in hearing everyones opinions on it.

MrsHouston47302

Asked by MrsHouston47302 at 1:50 PM on Jan. 15, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Musical

It's not hard to check a placenta. Second, many women don't have access/money to get a midwife that will just sit across the room. If you get a licensed mw in my state not only do they have several restrictions on who they can serve, but they are required to be interventive by law. Also, when I had my daughter the closest midwife was 3 hours away, I didn't share her birth philosophy and didn't much care for her, plus I had a 2 hour labor. I think every woman should be prepared to UC because you don't know what will happen. There was a friend of mine that was sent home from the hospital at 7cm because she refused pit. A week later active labor hit and the baby was born on the way to the hospital, 30 minutes from the first contraction. Yesterday morning another friend had a uc and the baby was born after 12 contractions. I know another friend that had a 15 minute labor. It's important to at least know what how.
    NinjaMomma

Answer by NinjaMomma at 2:20 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• i personally dont care for it. just the thought that something might go wrong and there is no medical help there. ie the cord gets wrapped around their necks or a last minute turn to breech. besides you can often have a pleasent birth if you have a good birth plan and talk it over with your doctor. if you have a good doctor that is understanding you can often have a wonderful experience. both of mine went just as planned and i had a wonderful birth experience in the hospital.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 1:54 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I believe that at least having a midwife or some other birth attendant in the area is a good idea, but I am also studying to be a midwife, and I know what can go wrong. Most births are normal, but it's always good to have a professional to check and make sure the placenta is intact (someone who has seen many placentas and knows what to look for), and to double check the baby and mom to ensure everything is good to go. Most midwives who do home births are happy to step back and let the family do things on their own. I also know some moms who have had unassisted home births (some by accident when the midwife didn't get there fast enough). It can go either way, of course, and again, most births are normal until they're not. But I do believe in having a professional birth attendant to check everything and be available just in case.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:56 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• After watching a few videos and such online I do think it's a beautiful thing.  Not for me, I'm too worried about something going wrong but the thought of free birthing sounds empowering to me.

MrsHouston47302

Comment by MrsHouston47302 (original poster) at 1:58 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I agree, it can be very empowering. I'd LOVE to do it, but have a midwife in the other room, or across the room, and just catch my baby myself or have DH catch the baby. Sadly, I had a REALLY complicated birth (after a great pregnancy) with DS, and DH won't hear of a home birth for #2 (maybe for #3 if #2 goes well). I'm just hoping for a very uncomplicated VBAC with the next one, which will sadly be in a hospital.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:02 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Yes, I agree with you on that one.  With my 2nd child my midwife stayed across the room.  She didn't talk or bother me in anyway.  It was extremely peaceful and I'd love to have a repeat of that.

MrsHouston47302

Comment by MrsHouston47302 (original poster) at 2:05 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• i would be to afraid something would go wrong. so i dont think it would be for me.
    mommy2be0611

Answer by mommy2be0611 at 2:14 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I loved mine. Simple easy labor. I did the homework, and very rarely does anything go wrong. Cord around the neck is common and not a danger. In fact, it can be beneficial as it prevents cord prolapse.
    NinjaMomma

Answer by NinjaMomma at 2:16 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I would like to at least have a midwife present, even if I or my SO were planning to do all the catching and whatnot, just because a trained professional would be better prepared to assist/diagnose/let me know if an actual emergency occurred, either before, during, or after birth.
    ohbladi

Answer by ohbladi at 2:19 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Oh NinjaMomma I so agree with you on that one!  I think it is important to know what to do incase something like that does happen.  I am pregnant with my 4th child and am worried about having the baby at home because my other labors went pretty fast.  My last child I was dilated to 7 and didn't know it.  I thought I just needed to use the bathroom!  The one that stumps me is the umbilical cord.  The clamping, the cutting, I have no idea how to do any of that.

MrsHouston47302

Comment by MrsHouston47302 (original poster) at 2:27 PM on Jan. 15, 2011