Is it illegal to lock a kid in their bedroom?

Just during nap time? DD has figured out how to open doors, with the knob covers on too and now she wont take her nap and its the only time I can get any cleaning done since she thinks she has to be clinging to me when she is awake. I know how horrible it sounds to lock a kid in their room but I cant think of any other way to get her back to taking naps.

Rockabye

Asked by Rockabye at 2:06 PM on Jan. 15, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• what if you just put a gate in front of the doorway instead of actually locking the door?
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 2:12 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• yeah, what pp said, that makes way more sense
    ihave10kids

Answer by ihave10kids at 2:14 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• iv heard that plenty of parents do this when using the Cry it out methode. I would never do that but i have never been one to use cry it out or any thing of the sort but im sure its not illegal as long as you can sill here her and you know shes safe. Its not like your leaving your house and leaving her locked in there. But you might wana find another solution.
    Jaxsmommy09

Answer by Jaxsmommy09 at 2:14 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Locking her in her room is not going to make her take a nap. i am with the pp maybe a gate.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 2:14 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I don't think it's illegal, but I'd find another solution, like the baby gate or something.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:15 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Excuse my LMAO DD figured out gates a long long time ago she can climb over them she can undo them and when all else fails she will break them lol
    Rockabye

Comment by Rockabye (original poster) at 2:15 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• wow your kind of rude i am out.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 2:17 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Well if it has an actually lock on it and you need a key to unlock it then it's illegal. I've always just put one of those child proof door knobs on the inside to prevent my daughter from getting out
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 2:17 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I'm pretty sure the locking it would make her take a nap before she figured out the door she would come pound on the door for a few minutes then lay down and sleep. Now that she figured the door out she wont sleep. I dont want to lock her in there but its the only thing I can think of short of duct tape (that was a joke) lol
    Rockabye

Comment by Rockabye (original poster) at 2:18 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Ive actually found that I had to do this with my DD. She went through a phase where she would get up in the middle of the night and go roaming the house. We tried door alarms, door knob covers, gates, and nothing worked. So at night we would lock the door. If she needed us she would call or knock. Once the potty training kicked in though we stopped doing it and eventually she grew out of that.
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 2:18 PM on Jan. 15, 2011