How likely is it that you can get a false negative on a pregnancy test?

I had my last baby 11/12/09. Had my first post pregnancy period 5/2010. Bled really bad for 3 weeks straight. Got prescribed Birth control. Took it for about 4 months, which gave me a period each of the four months.. (and husband didnt wear a condom. Stopped Birth control thinking everything was on track again around September 2010. Now it is Jan 2011 and still no period and negative pregnancy tests. How likely is it that those tests are false?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:07 PM on Jan. 15, 2011 in Pregnancy

• could be possible you are pegnant and you are getting a bad test. there are many reasons for getting a false negative. Id say you need to call your dr and set up a visit because you should have had a period by now maybe your not pregnant but something is going on.
    Jaxsmommy09

Answer by Jaxsmommy09 at 2:11 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• You can always go see a doc to confirm, but there can be a ton of reasons your periods haven't really come back regularly. Are your breastfeeding? Hormones can take awhile to get back on track, too. It's unlikely that you've been pregnant all this time, but it does happen in rare cases. Make an appointment to see your doc and have them check for you. Good luck!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:13 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• a false negative is more common than a false positive...when i was prego with my ds all my home test were positive, my test at the dr. office was a false negative...well, my son is now 9 months old so even at the docs you don't always get a correct reading.
    nickellmomof2

Answer by nickellmomof2 at 2:16 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• they are 99.9% effective and out of 6 billion people, 6 million people can have a negative (TECHNICALLY)
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 2:17 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Which test brand would you suggest me try again? I have only used the digital Clear Blue.. would the first response strips be more accurate than a digital reading?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:27 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• and no im not breast feeding. I can't think of anything that would prevent me from having a Period. I've been gaining a few pounds here and there.. a total of 10 pounds since september?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:21 PM on Jan. 15, 2011