My daughter just found out she's lactose intollerant...suggestions?

Any ideas where we can get some good recipes so she can cook healthy and tasty food on her own at college? Thanks!

bigguysmama

Asked by bigguysmama at 2:14 PM on Jan. 15, 2011 in Food & Drink

• try that lactose free milk or soy or rice milk for cooking I use all three and they are pretty good.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 2:19 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• She can take Lactaid tablets prior to consuming dairy. They contain lactase, which is the enzyme we lack when we have lactose intolerance. Can she still consume cheese and yogurt? Some people can still consume fermented dairy products, because they break down the lactose, which is what the body can't do. There is also Lactaid milk, which is what I use for my cereal. Soy milk is a great option, and is becoming more and more available (like if she wants a latte, this is a good option).
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:19 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• pinkdragon36 she is drinking a lactose free milk right now. We had to try a few that didn't taste very good AT ALL. Oh, it's a Dean's brand. I think the other kinds would work well for cooking.

musicpisces She has been taking Lactaid, but it doesn't seem to do much good. She still has a lot of abdominal pain. I'm wondering if it might not be a glucose issue instead of dairy. Might need to rule that out as well. When she goes to Starbucks she has the soy milk.
    bigguysmama

Comment by bigguysmama (original poster) at 2:48 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I have a problem with diary products as well. I use the latocse milk and love it. Also the soy chocolate one is good. I cook normal and when recipe says add milk I just use my milk and not regular milk the rest of the family uses. Can find every latose cottage cheese, ice cream which to great. I can not have ice cream but frozen yoguat and rainbow sherbet is fine. I would have the other problem checked out as well if needed. I am also on a medince called dexilant and a low fat diet cause of left side pain and could not find the problems. since been on medicine I feel better with barly any attacks anymore. Hope that helps. If anything else to help with just let me know and will try to help more.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 2:58 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• momindiana Didn't realize she could have frozen yogurt! Good news. I think I'm going to have her take gluten out of her diet for a week or two to see if there's any improvement. I just want my kid healthy, you know?
    bigguysmama

Comment by bigguysmama (original poster) at 3:06 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• If she is in College she should be doing the reseach on this herself- You could just help her along . she is old enough to be working this problem out. Sorry- I don't mean to be catty, but... I am sure there are books on the subject at the library and many articles online.
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 4:02 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• If she wants to try some different alternatives she can taste rice milk, soy milk, oat milk or nut milk (usually almond).
    DejaVooDoo

Answer by DejaVooDoo at 6:19 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Just a bit of "warning" - taking gluten out of her diet for 1-2 weeks won't do anything. For a person intolerant/allergic to it, it takes 3-4 months before feeling anything. Not only that, but for a person who isn't gluten intolerant, taking it out can be bad too.
    Anonymous

• Chefjen, she has done research herself. As her mom, of course, I want to gain insight and education into it as well. My daughter is definitely able to stand on her own 2 feet. I don't think there's a single parent who just drops their kid off at college and says, "good luck, don't ask for help". I'm not being catty either, but I have to say there's nothing wrong with trying to help my daughter be healthy.

DejaVooDoo man, there are a lot of milk alternatives. This is all so new. Wish I didn't live in the boonies where health food stores are non-existent. Thankfully she's in the cities and has access to those kinds of stores.

Anonymous, thank you so much for letting me know about the risks of taking gluten OUT of her diet if it's not necessary. I had NO clue it could take so long for someone to start feeling any of the benefits if it is a problem! She's been dairy free for almost 2 mos & still gets really sick! Worries me!
    bigguysmama

Comment by bigguysmama (original poster) at 1:37 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Dairy free is very easy. If you send me a message with foods that she enjoys, I will be happy to forward recipes to you. She should definitely start with the Uncheese Cookbook; nutritional yeast should become her new best friend.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:55 AM on Jan. 16, 2011