How should we deal with my Christian Science MIL who smokes and can no longer breath normally? (PIOG)

She believes that God will heal her and does not believe in modern day medicine. She has not seen a doctor in 46 years (since my DH was born). Despite her religion, she has been smoking since she was a teenager. She's been having difficulties walking from one end of the house to the other because she gets so out of breath. She can't clean house anymore or work in the garden. My FIL said that he thinks she will die within a year. Even if she did have emphysema or cancer she wouldn't go see a doctor.

My DH and I are not Christian Scientists, in fact I was in the medical profession. It's difficult knowing that someone you care about could get help, but doesn't want it. Is there anyone who can give us some insight as to how to deal with this?

sweetpeasmom1

Asked by sweetpeasmom1 at 11:55 PM on Nov. 12, 2008 in Health

• I say, it's her decision. I was in Respiratory for a number of years, so I know where you are coming from. But, if she does not want the help, it's her decision. At this point, I really don't know if I would want to be put thru all I've seen as well. I might just want to live out my time as healthy and unmedicated as I could.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 11:57 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• It sounds like she has COPD. And sadly she probably will die in the next few years. My mom had it & she went to doctors and instead of doing what they said she just kept smoking. she died within a yr of finding out she had it. you cant make somebody do something they dont want to do, whether it be going to the doctor or even doing what the dr. says if they do go. i am sorry you are in such a heartbreaking position. my mom knew we cared about her & knew we wanted her to take care of herself but she chose instead to continue to smoke, thus hastening her death. so now thanks to her selfisness my daughters will never know their grandma.
    Anonymous