Barking puppy....

We recently got a puppy, we keep him in a playpen, when we go to sleep or have to leave the house, just so he doesn't get into trouble or get hurt. But he barks when he's in there, I ignore it, should I be doing something different?

Rachel24517

Asked by Rachel24517 at 2:27 PM on Jan. 15, 2011 in Pets

• Never ignore it. Just like with a child if you ignore their bad behavior they're not going to learn that it's bad. You want to show the puppy that it isn't good behavior to continuously bark while in the cage. The way that I have found works is to grab them by the snout (closing their mouth) firmly, but not to hurt them. Then saying "No" in a firm and authorative tone. Continue to do this everytime they bark and you feel they shouldn't be. It also helps for some animals, who tend to be more disobedient, to play the "I'm bigger" training method. By this you go up to them and you push them to lay down (again not to hurt them) and either say "No" firmly or just be silent. This isn't a common method and some might find it too aggressive, but it does work for a more disobedient dog. Showing that you're the dominant one or "The Leader".
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 3:08 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I do reverse training. I taught my dog to bark on command with the instruction "talk." When she associated the command with the action, I could then negate the action with "no talk." The "no talk" command eventually included no takling at all-- not for a set specified time. Both training methods required positive reinforcement, and now, even when she barks because of a stranger at the door, I can get her to stop with "no talk."

Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 2:32 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• OP DO NOT use shock collars on your dog. It's abuse, it's inhumane and it's lazy training.

The dog is barking for a few reasons. He could be bored, he might want out, he might want to play, or he's lonely. It's up to you to figure those things out. BUT, DO NOT take the dog out of the playpen WHILE he is barking...wait until he stops and then let him out. Take him outside to pee and then have a good play session with him.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 3:06 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• We teach our dogs by growling at them when they do something wrong. Our new puppy is a very vocal dog, and barks at me when she wants to eat and barks at our other dog when she wants him to play and whines when she wants out of my bedroom at night. So i growl at her. And it works. Eventually! Lol! I have border collies and they are extremely smart dogs though, so they pick up quick on things like that. On other breeds of dogs we've had, we've used shock collars for behavioral issues and that works really well and really quick.
    MommaTurbo

Answer by MommaTurbo at 2:59 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Since he is a pup, I would put playpen in my bdrm at night so he can see Im there and go to sleep or you could try giving him a stuffed toy animal just please make sure its not a kid toy one with buttons and things that will get chewed off and can hurt puppy.
    kingkongsmom

Answer by kingkongsmom at 8:51 AM on Jan. 17, 2011

• thanks jazzlikemraz.. good advice there
    san78

Answer by san78 at 6:10 AM on Jan. 18, 2011