Sticking to a diet...

Looking for a diet that is easy to stick with...minimal calories but good for you. Also something that I can incorporate into my family's lifestyle too. I am hoping that it will be easier to stick with when everyone is eating the same things. I have thought about the Special K Challenge diet because I am a cereal lover, but I have seen posts from other moms on how they have stayed hungry on this diet. Any help and advice on this matter is appreciated.

MamaCortney

Asked by MamaCortney at 2:31 PM on Jan. 15, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• Reality is diets don't work....."diets" are something you do to lose the weight, then you stop, and when you go back to the old bad habits so will the weight....

What you need is a lifestyle change for LIFE.....healthy eating habits that you always eat. If losing weight is the goal you need to go to a site that calculates the calories you need to lose weight. I simple calculator is: http://caloriecount.about.com/cc/calories-goal.php

But that doesn't mean it will be the caloric goals of everyone in your family. So, just making healthy choices, switching from white rice, pasta and breads to whole grain.....eating more vegetables and fruits, eating leaner meats and poultry, no more pop (soda), no juices (the whole fruit is better)

Feel free to join the cafemom group: 2011 weight loss "ready for a new me" we are a wonderful bunch of ladies going through it too!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 2:38 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• You don't need a diet. Just eat healthy.
    Diets are quick fixes that don't keep the weight off or change your lifestyle once you stop. Eating healthy is a lifestyle change. It makes you change your shopping habits, your snacking habits, and your meal habits. Just eating healthy, well balanced meals, with small-medium portion sizes is important habits to build.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 3:03 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I am looking for a quick fix to start with while incorporating a healthy way of eating...We already eat semi-healthy in my family so it won't be too hard to get to the point of eating completely healthy and getting to the lifestyle point however I am trying to drop the extra weight so that I can feel better about myself...That is what is going to help me in the lifestyle journey...the quick fix.
    MamaCortney

Comment by MamaCortney (original poster) at 3:23 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• More exercise with fewer calories, walk anytime you can. Exercise is key!
    Eat food that fills you up without being high in calories, especially fruits and veg
    Switch things like whole milk and regular soda for skim milk and diet drinks or better yet, water
    Take smaller portions and don't forget to snack on a healthy snack to keep your metabolism burning in between meals.

RedRowan

Answer by RedRowan at 6:23 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• But there is NO quick fix.....if you use a quick fix to drop WATER weight, it will come right back no matter what.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 7:13 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Try Weight Watchers.
    cleanaturalady

Answer by cleanaturalady at 7:57 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Quick fixes don't work. That's the problem. They work in the short term, but then you stop doing them, so you gain back the weight you lost, plus more, because you've now slowed down your metabolism.  I've lost 40 lbs so far eating clean (see my journal here for the basics about this plan).  It's a lifestyle change.  Period.  It's not about counting calories.  It's about sticking to the principles, eliminating sugar from your life, learning about portion sizes, and small frequent meals (plus the other stuff that's in there).  I'm reading Tosca Reno's book, "The Eat Clean Diet Recharged", and I would highly recommend it (I wrote the journal before I bought this book).  It's easy to get the whole family on board, because you're the chef in the house (right?), so you decide what's in the cupboards and what's for dinner.
    Cont
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:06 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Cont
    Something I did to help motivate myself was write out my reasons for wanting to lose weight for good. I keep it somewhere where I will see it every day, and I READ it.
    You also need to come up with an action plan for the slumps. We all go through them during the weight loss struggle, and it's easy to get derailed if you're not careful. Don't let one slip up screw up everything you've worked so hard for. Learn from it and move on. Remind yourself what your goals are, and why you're doing this, and get back on the horse.
    Keep your progress visible and public, too. Make yourself accountable to people, and have them bug you if they haven't heard anything in a few days. I text my brother all of my workouts, and he does the same, and he asks if I've worked out when he doesn't hear from me. It helps to know he knows what I'm up to! I don't cheat and lie about it either.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:09 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• maybe you need a quick fix but you can't feed your kids like that? i am losing weight just by eating clean...i have considered the smash fat diet to boost it but with that I would feed my kids seperately but i dunno I am researching/ i am all about healthy ways and its healthy but when diets limits alot we tend to fail....i would starve on special k and its not even that healthy!
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 12:47 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I don't think there is a quick fix!
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 2:23 AM on Jan. 16, 2011