What is appropriate punishment for a 3 year old?

This has been a debate between my babysitter and myself. My opinion is time out for 3 min. What's yours?

BlueAngel626

Asked by BlueAngel626 at 2:48 PM on Jan. 15, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• time outs, they dont understand or retain alot at that age
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 2:48 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Time out. A 3 year old doesn't have too many priveleges you can take away so I find time outs a god send.
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 2:49 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• we mostly use the naughty chair method. it works pretty well for our dd.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 2:49 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• The techniques you choose to utilize in your home and with your children should NEVER be a debate between you and the babysitter.

I would go with time outs. I'm not a fan of spanking, and I don't there's not much else they would understand at this age.

GL
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 2:50 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Time out (3 minutes)
    Having toys and privliages taken away.
    Quiet time in their room.
    And/or being assigned chores instead of playing or watching their favorite shows.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 3:25 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Time out if it works for him/her. Also, taking the most important thing in the world away. Your sitter should be doing what you ask her to do (other than spanking).
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 4:18 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• 3 min time out, take away privs, and certain toys. My son is almost 4, so he has 4 min timeouts, I do mins based on age, and the longer he whines and cries and back talks the longer he stays there.
    JakeysMommy0127

Answer by JakeysMommy0127 at 4:54 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• 1 minute per year so three is three min. as you already said. If she is the babysitter she gets paid therefore you are the boss. You tell her she does not tell you.
    rosetoes

Answer by rosetoes at 8:07 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Time out or spanking(though unless you really know and trust the sitter(they are family or really close friends for example) only you should spank)
    Iamasinglemom99

Answer by Iamasinglemom99 at 4:34 PM on Jan. 21, 2011