• In the Spotlight:

BILLION dollar campaign?!

WHY would a sitting president need to raise more money for a re-election campaign than the original one?!

For the 2008 presidential election, the Obama campaign raised nearly $750 MILLION!!  Given Obama's current approval ratings (46% as of January 15, 2011), the number of stalled or broken promises over the first half of his term, lack cost-effective bills most notably the failed 2009 Stimulus Bill , and ignoring the wishes of the American public to repeal ObamaCare (which have been consistently above 52% since being signed into law in March 2010, etc.

Do you really think attempting to raise a BILLION DOLLARS will is the most prudent or effective approach to take given the above citations or a complete waste of time and money that will likely result in further dividing citizens?!

Lastly, WHY, if he is so deserving of the title, would Obama even need to raise so much money?!  You would think he wouldn't need to spend nearly as much as the first time around, and simply let his presidential track record speak for itself...oh, wait, I think I just answered my own question!! :o)

***

"Obama’s team is running into resistance in at least one key fundraising hub — New York City, where some of Obama’s biggest 2008 backers have bitterly protested last year’s passage of financial reform legislation and what they perceived as an unfair bad-mouthing of bankers during the debate."

---

"In 2008, the president raised $745 million and became the first nominee in modern history to decline public funding and finance his campaign entirely with private money.

Simply duplicating that record-breaking sum would be a feat, particularly when Obama’s candidacy won’t be softly wrapped in the inspirational and historic themes of his first race, but he’ll run on an ambitious record of legislative accomplishments – victories that haven’t yet been embraced by his liberal base but have energized his Republican adversaries."

---

"Daniel Loeb, founder of the Third Point Management hedge fund, wrote a scathing December rant to fellow Obama Wall Street bundlers – fundraisers who tap their own networks of friends to drive cash to the campaign — suggesting the perfect holiday gift for each of them: A book about battered wives who can’t leave their abusive husbands.

“I am sure, if we are really nice and stay quiet, everything will be alright and the President will become more centrist and that all his tough talk is just words,” Loeb wrote. “I mean when I am alone with him – at $30,000 a plate fund raisers – he’s really nice and once I got invited to the White House!”

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0111/47596.html

***

It seems a certain group took issue with Meg Whitman (R-CA)  wasting $142 million of her OWN money in her bid to become California's next governor, and in doing so was (according to the left) labeled hypocritical in her claims to be fiscally conservative.

That said, IF (and that's a big "if") Obama successfully raises that much money, if not more, will his re-election campaign spending be conveniently overlooked by those who desperately want to see him serve two-terms, regardless of the detriment a second term poses to this country, or do they not care if they are labeled hypocrites?!  Pie-in-the-sky dreams aside, can this country REALLY afford it?!

LoriKeet

Asked by LoriKeet at 3:08 PM on Jan. 15, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• If they don't have a problem raising money for campaigning, why can't they do the same to pay for their entitlement programs? More stepping over dollars to pick up dimes.

It wasn't as hard in 2008 as it will be in 2012.  All he had to do was not be Bush.  He didn't have a track record, and by careful steps to vote mostly 'Present' he didn't seem to have much of an opinion either.  Now that the people see what this man is made of and what he considers a sound decision, he will have a much harder time trying to court the supporters again.  The romance of 'making history' has come and gone.  The honeymoon is over.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 3:32 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• And the fifth little conservative went WAH, WAH, WAH, all the day long.

What an eloquent and thought provoking argument for why the OP is wrong. I can see you are highly educated on the subject and gave careful thought to the mixed message...oh, wait, that's right, you're just trolling, my bad. But thanks for demonstrating the depth and breadth of any future contributions we can expect from you. Now we don't have to bother reading your posts at all. Such a time saver!
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:10 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I guess with inflation and the current economy votes cost a LOT more to buy now.
    DSamuels

Answer by DSamuels at 4:06 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

That's code, for "I am nit smart enough to give you an answer"

But to answer your question. He will have to do a lot of vote buying, and I doubt a billion would do it. Quinn put it well. Now that the people who were sleeping in the last presidential election have awakened (well most of them) He is going to have a very tough time selling himself. he used hope and change once and we have seen what a failure that was.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 3:47 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• O and gee all them American citizens donating to the man they wanted to be President

And that's supposed to be a negative?

You really think that's where most of his money comes from? Are you really that naive, or just in denial? Oh, Obama's lobbyists, how doth he love thee, let us count the ways...
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:12 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Republicans ignored the will of the American public They wanted the health care bill to go further

What planet did you just zoom in from exactly? I think it was the other way around, but that is how the 1984 newspeak goes. Now that it is said, it is fact. Amazing, really!

I want to know this. Is PBO just a professional campaigner? Has there been one day in his tenor as Senator or pres. that he wasn't campaigning? Are we in for the same 24 month campaign we had last time? Lord, I hope not. I can't take another 2 year presidential run.

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 5:32 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Republicans ignored the will of the American public

They wanted the health care bill to go further

Really Sweet? I would say based on the turn out and votes in the mid-term elections just the opposite is true. But maybe if you keep on saying it over and over again someone wil believe you.
    DSamuels

Answer by DSamuels at 4:11 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Really Sweet? I would say based on the turn out and votes in the mid-term elections just the opposite is true. But maybe if you keep on saying it over and over again someone wil believe you.

The world according to sweet. Not really the reality most be live in. She makes her own reality.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 4:27 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• No idea why he needs more money but he will need some good voodoo magic to get it. Most of the people I know who voted for him who have been Dems ALL their lives do not plan to donate OR vote for him again.

Answer by gemgem at 5:30 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• sweets, I don't have a problem with people wasting THEIR money on whatever or whomever they deem worthy, the question is....WILL SUPPORTERS WASTE THEIR MONEY AGAIN, AND MORE OF IT?!

What kind of shoes are you wearing, sweet?
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 5:02 PM on Jan. 15, 2011