Invading his privacy?!

My 19 y/o has a FB page. Well, several people in the family are on FB & if they see something of concern, it is brought to my attention. I called him on something the other day, & he actually had the nerve to say I invaded his privacy. I told him "There's nothing private about FB!" & lmao! Dont you think a parent should use any tools necessary to parent in this day & age. (Mind you he still lives at home & is going thru some things right now- ie- almost 1 yr since his dad died & he just dropped out of school- giving up a full-ride scholarship!) I believe if it's out there for all of computerland to see- then it's not a privacy issue. What do you think?

mrsmom110

Asked by mrsmom110 at 3:17 PM on Jan. 15, 2011 in General Parenting

• Oh I hear your pain. I have a 26 y/o daughter that makes me cringe constantly with the junk she puts on FB. Ive actually blocked her a couple times because I was embarressed about her postings. My family and older grandparents etc have her on there page. I told her the other day if she was going to continue sounding like a 15 year old to remove grandparents and aunts/uncles from her facebook.

Kids now days have no shame. I was def. not a "good kid" but I did not blatently let everyone in the whole world know what an idiot I was lol.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 3:23 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• He is a legal adult but he is NOT an actual adult. If he lives at YOUR home, and YOU are paying his bills (roof, food, school, etc) then you have ANY right to "invade his privacy".... I wouldnt even cared if you searched his room... if you had a feeling you should.

Kids have to learn that until they are ACTUAL adults they have no rights... if YOU are supplying their life for them.. too dang bad they need to play by YOUR rules.

Obviously, searching just to search is a bad habit to get into, and I see no need for it... but if you even have the smallest of doubts that your child isnt being safe with drugs, alcohol, or sex.. I think it is a parents DUTY to search for an answer.

btw.. I have two teens living at home.

Anonymous

• um... the moment he posts it on FB its no longer private. 'sides you didn't even go on there to look, family memebers TOLD you about it. I'd be LMAO too. Even if he didn't live w/you you'd still know. AND you are always a kid to your parents.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 4:00 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• He's an adult. If you never let him live once you're gone how will he know how to?
    prissysayshi

Answer by prissysayshi at 3:25 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I think there is a limit to everyone's parenting. He's an adult and should be able to speak his mind and share things that he feels should be shared. He has the right to decide on things and do things that he feels should be done. Even without your consent, agreement, or otherwise. Yes, since he is living under your roof he should be under your rules, but I still think as an adult he should have the adult's right to be one.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 4:53 PM on Jan. 15, 2011