should i be worried about my 2 year old having adhd

so when my son was born he was 2 week late and after only a few sec looked around the room holding his head up . from then on everyone comment on how aleart he was by the time he could walk he started running by 16 months the helth vistor said he was going thew his terrable 2 early . he now nearly 2 and a half and he wild he screwams so load all the time he runs everywhere . i also raise my 2 step kids my step daughteris 7 and my step son is 9 with attachment disorderr so he also hyper and i know some of that rubed of on my son .
my son started nursey and there saying the same stuff that he never stops that he in to everything and that he dose not walk anywhere
i allways new there a strong chance of it as i have heretory dyslexia and it tends to have interlinked dyspraxa or adhd my son very qordnated so it not dyspraxia .

i should have said he is very highly inteligent and nursey said it to so you have to watching him as he only needs to see you do something once eg turning on the cooker or turning off the dvd player at the wall . he also very advanced at things like roller skates and bikes and jumping

feralkitten

Asked by feralkitten at 3:22 PM on Jan. 15, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think 2 is too early to say if it is ADHD. He is 2, after all.
    Keep in mind--while dyslexia and ADHD and dyslexia and dyspraxa (and even aphasia) often coexist, they are not interlinked to mean that there is a strong chance your child will have either. They are interlinked to mean that sometimes a person with ADHD might have dyslexia. Actually, they are wondering now if a lot of ADD/ADHD kids are actually more dyslexic and just displaying their frustrations as it is processing issue, not a true behavior issue. Part of this processing issue can be an inability to follow directions. Many kids diagnosed as ADHD are really dyslexic, it's just that more educators and parents are more familiar with the ADHD checklist than the dyslexia one.
    Either way, I'd wait. It could be that he is beiing a child.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 3:37 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• 2 is entirely to young to even consider ADHD. Some 2 year old are just more active than others. My 3 year old can run circles around my son who had HFA, ODD, ADHD. lol. He at the same age was calm and collected most of the time. More interested in looking at books. If there are still concerns when your child gets to kindergarten then you may want to mention it to the Ped. I would hope they would not make a diagnosis before then.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:29 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• hes 2! at 2 they are supposed to be nuts! I wouldnt be concerned until kindergarten! imo
    JOR_HAIL

Answer by JOR_HAIL at 3:33 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• i'm in the uk he starts school at 5 thats when they normal test here and i dont have a ped
    i will behaving him tested for dyslexia at 5 no matter what i dont wont to medicate my son i'm just wirried as i know lots of 2 year old none are like him he wont sit to look at books at all i wonted to potty train him before he was 3 but even nursey saying there no way untill he can sit for more than 2 secs
    feralkitten

Comment by feralkitten (original poster) at 3:34 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• "Many kids diagnosed as ADHD are really dyslexic" that very intersting as dyslexica is a reall risk facter with my family history. with being very very very badly dyslexic myself i know dyslexia effects yoyr attshon spain and of cources i'm very high intlengent so get bored easly and i also get easly fostrated as my brain funtisons at a much higher leve then my speck and a lot hight leve than my wrighting . so i did wonder is its his speech and high intelenges thats the problem
    feralkitten

Comment by feralkitten (original poster) at 3:56 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• My son sounds a lot like yours although mine is a bit older, I would wait a little bit longer and if he is still having problems when he's about to enter school then I would have him tested. My son has speech problems but has gotten much better in everything since working with a speech therapist, he was having trouble learning to use the bathroom because of that but he is almost there now. Good luck !!
    countrygirl06

Answer by countrygirl06 at 4:02 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Don't put him on meeds is the only advice I can give. My step daughter takes them. They make her like a zombie and she cry about every thing
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 5:19 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I can tell you that my ds (9) started his "terrible twos" at 18 months and never stopped lol. My ds was officially diagnosed with severe ADHD at the age of 4. He is extremely intelligent! His brother (3) is a very active child, and goes a lot. But nothing like his brother did! (Does). If you have concerns now, please have him evaluated. You can work with a behavior therapist and use charts and rewards to manage his behavior. You are going to get a lot of negative feed back on this, just take what makes sense to you and leave the rest alone. If you don't live with it you don't know about it. PM if you like.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 6:51 PM on Jan. 15, 2011