do you talk about money, bills, banking, trouble with paying bills etc, infront of your childern?

JOR_HAIL

Asked by JOR_HAIL at 4:08 PM on Jan. 15, 2011 in Money & Work

• No. The closest they get to knowing our money situation is to hear ' no, we don't have money for toys/junk right now' when begging for something at the store.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:09 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• It's just me and my daughter in the house together. As but_mommie said the only thing I might say is, if we're at the store wanting something that we don't need, Ill say we can only get what we need to make supper tonight.
    genagina

Answer by genagina at 4:13 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• My DD is 2.5 so yes. My parents did
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 4:15 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Nope, it's not something they should be concerned with. All they need to know is that we have food, shelter and clothing.
    gumby11883

Answer by gumby11883 at 4:17 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• We talk to our kids about money and what our bills are. They are 13, 11 and 9 so I think they are old enough to understand where we are financially. I think it is good for them to understand how much things cost and why it is good budget your money. I want them to be able to budget their money when they are older so the don't have a lot of credit card debt. I think it is a great way to teach them. They also have their own money so we can't afford something and they really want it they can use their own money.

I guess for us it is important and a great way to teach them.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 4:19 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Yes, because I have nothing to hide.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 4:22 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• they are 17 and 20
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 4:23 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• no shes too young, I mite when shes older so she'l know what the money goes on and that its not all fun..
    DawnLauren

Answer by DawnLauren at 4:26 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Right now my children are too young to understand all of that. However, when they're older I plan to incooperate our personally financial woes into their learning about financial responsibility. I may not go into every detail about current and past financial success/failures, but I do plan on giving them examples that we've experienced. That way they're getting to know financial responsibility knowing that we're not just talking out of our rears. That we actually have experienced the downfalls that we're trying to prevent for them.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 4:32 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I do to an extent. It's good to see that we are not loaded, but we work hard for what we do have and if money is tight it's a good life lesson for them to see how we cope with it. By cutting back of frivolous stuff and getting only necessities.  When I was about 12 my mom would hand me a grocery list with the maximum price to spend on each item and just enough cash to spend.   If I went under the maximum I got to keep the difference.  It taught me how to budget and I am greatful.  I have only started explaining these things to my kids though since they are 9 and 10 they are of age to understand money don't grow on trees.  

luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 4:34 PM on Jan. 15, 2011