SEATTLE WA...do u live there? ADVICE PLEASE!!! =)

hi girls! so my hubby got a job offer in seattle, wa...which would b a huge move for us we live in tampa area in FLORIDA...lol cross country anyone? & my question to the mamas out there how affordable is living in seattle/surrounding areas? his job would b paying 60k plus bonus ( he makes 20k or so here) would this be enuf to live & save $$$ or is the price of rent/food/gas above average? we were looking into apartments 3bed/2bath for 1200-1400 around seattlle which doesnt seems so bad, we pay 11oo a month for ours here. but as far as everything else whats it like? do u enjoy living in the area? is it family friendly? im guessing the weather is cooler/cold & does it rain alot? what tips or advice do you have for a family considering moving there, we have 7yr old daughter, & im 8.5months prego w/lil boy.

beachmom0703

Asked by beachmom0703 at 4:16 PM on Jan. 15, 2011 in Money & Work

• I used to live close to there. I hated it. We just moved a week ago. It rains a lot and it is super expensive. I don't mean to be a downer, sorry. You might enjoy it. There is a lot to do there, but of course like I said before, very expensive. I wish you luck!!
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 4:30 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• thanks amber but specifically what is so expensive,sorry dont mean 2 badger u w/questions....but is it the food? gas? electric that make it so expensive? we live very modestly...like i said my hubby makes 25k a yr here in FL, so the job would pay 40k MORE if we moved...but would it b sucked away bcuz its SO expensive there?
    beachmom0703

Comment by beachmom0703 (original poster) at 4:34 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I would second what the last person said. I hate it here, I am from the Tampa area and miss it greatly. You would have to figure out if it would be worth the paycheck increase. It does not really get that cold, it is rather moderate. It rains all winter long which for me is quite depressing after coming from sunshine. My kids don't get to go too the beach, or swim which is a big bummer to me. After 7 years I have not got used to it. Money wise as long as you are not living in down town Seattle them you should be ok.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 4:38 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Everything is more expensive here. Housing, groceries, utilities....but I think you would still make out with that much extra.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 4:40 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Here are some comparables between cities.  Click on all the Cost of Living; Economy; Housing; Health.................etc there.

Here is their Seattle Public School website. Look at the SPS District Scorecard

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 5:27 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I use to live not far from there as well. I hate it. It's crazy there. Traffic is a nightmare and I'm almost afraid to walk the streets. Yes it is very expensive there.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 6:54 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Sorry it took so long to respond. Food, gas, utilities, housing (I paid almost 2,000 dollars a month on a 2 bedroom tiny little apartment that barely had room for my furniture), it is awful. And like someone else said the traffic is terrible!
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 7:38 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• wow! thanx 4 the input...eeek! lol! sounds kinda scary! hows the crime?
    beachmom0703

Comment by beachmom0703 (original poster) at 8:57 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Are you talking specifically about Seattle or surrounding areas?
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 1:13 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• well my hubbys job would be in seattle, but we could live outside the city...im not sure. everything is in the talking/planning stages, thats why im trying to find out as much as i can about the area.
    beachmom0703

Comment by beachmom0703 (original poster) at 1:44 PM on Jan. 16, 2011