Do you swear at your children?

I heard a woman yell at her child at the park, she swore at her maybe 3 year old dd. She told her to 'get her ass over to here and pick up this shit' i gave her a look like she was from another planet. She looked at me and simple said, 'shes 3 she doesnt know what it means' and walked away. not only did her dd hear her swear but so did the other young children playing at the park.
I was ticked off. what would you have done?
I have slipped up and said dammit at times but to swear in that manner... I just didnt think it was called for.
am I old school??

JOR_HAIL

Asked by JOR_HAIL at 4:33 PM on Jan. 15, 2011 in General Parenting

• never. i will say some things in front of him..but never to him. i hate it too. i don't understand why some people think its okay to talk to kids that way. i think its trashy. but..i guess thats all they know. my sister does it to her 18 month old. "sit the fuck down" "go get your fuckin bottle" ..i just tell her "no wonder she acts the way she does..its because all you do is scream and cuss at her" i also tell my sister not to talk that way in my car or at my house...i try my best not to be around her if at all possible
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 4:39 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I don't think you are old school. I agree that you should not be swearing at your children in that manner at any age. I have said swears in front of my children at times, Like once I smashed my fingure in the door and I said "Oh Shit". I am not the type of person to swear much anyways so I don't usually swear anyway.

I guess I agree with you. I don't know that I would have said anything to the woman although I would have talked with my children about it. I would remind them why we don't say those words and ask them their thoughts on what happened.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 4:39 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I have done the dammit thing but that kinda thing infuriates me too. I actually blessed out my boss for cussing her then 4 y/o grand daughter.  I had done it before I realized it.  She got mad at me at first and told me it was none of my business I told her I was just giving her grand daughter a voice.  She came to tell me a few months later she respected me more for sticking up for a child who couldn't stand up for herself and has since stopped or censored her mouth in front of her grand daughter.  I would have brought to her attention that there were other children there and she should leave her potty mouth at home.

luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 4:45 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I never swear at my child.

I once heard a mother saying f this and f that while having a conversation with her young kids at a store. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. It made me think less of her as a mother. Her poor kids and what she is teaching them!

Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 4:59 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• No, I don't but I do "slip" sometimes when I am mad in general conversation not directly at my kids. I think that was wrong of that lady at the park to be loud like that if other kids could hear. Just my opinion.
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 4:46 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• You're right. Swearing at your kids is unexcuseable. But, having said that, I do it . I don't want to, or mean to, but I do. Not like I call them bi****s or a**holes or anything, but I'll say "damnit", or "what the hell?" Still, I know it's wrong.
    amyb99

Answer by amyb99 at 4:51 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I have never sworn at my child because I feel that it is very inappropriate. I have accidentally sworn around my child though, and that's not good either.

Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 4:54 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• It is very trashy to talk to children that way.
    Honda309

Answer by Honda309 at 5:35 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• No you are totally right. I do not swear at my kids. I don't even allow the word shut up. Now I have hurt myself and said dang it. And my kids started saying it. But my husband nipped that in the bud quick. He doesn't allow the kids to say that. But I have heard people swear at their kids and then surprised when they are out and the kids say it. If you are old school than I am also. :-)
    True_Gator_77

Answer by True_Gator_77 at 7:02 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I hate to say it but yes I swear a lot. I have been trying not to. I have sworn at the boys when I was realy realy mad. I said I was sorry. I am very happy that they do not swear.(yet).
    laura67-boo

Answer by laura67-boo at 4:42 PM on Jan. 15, 2011