Doggy Diarrhea

Help! My dog has diarrhea! It's pure liquid. I'm keeping him in his crate when I'm not taking him out because I don't want it all over. What should I do? Should I give him rice?

mompam

Asked by mompam at 4:34 PM on Jan. 15, 2011 in Pets

• Is their blood in his stool? Is he still alert or acting lethargic? If he is still alert fast him from food for today so his body can get rid of what ever is upsetting it. Make sure he is drinking plenty of water, you'll have to actually witness and keep up with his drinking. Test the skin between his shoulders blades, if the skin snaps right back into place than he is hydrated, if it stays in the pinched up spot and slowly moves back to place he is dehydrated and needs a vet ASAP, if he has had it for over 48 hours take him to the vet, if any blood what so ever shows up take him to the vet it could be Parvo. How old is he? If he is a puppy take him to the vet.
    if he is an older dog just keep an eye on him, something could have just upset it. My dog can get runny diary if he eats cat food.
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 4:58 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Agree with above post. Rice isn't going to fix it
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 5:07 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• When my dogs have stomach problems I give them boiled hamburger mixed with cooked white rice and a couple of tablespoons of plain canned pumpkin(not the pie mix).If the dog just has a stomach problem this will help.If he goes for more than 48 hours and is still having trouble a vet visit would definately be in order.
    Tikismom

Answer by Tikismom at 9:42 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• If the stool were just a bit soft, I'd recommend watching it for a day or two. If it is liquid, your dog needs to see the vet. Liquid diarrhea can lead to dehydration very quickly - the severity depends a lot on the size of your dog. The vet will check for intestinal parasites as well as looking at other causes of diarrhea like a bacterial imbalance. Intestinal or internal diseases (parvo, pancreatitis, etc.) could also be a potential cause and these can lead to even more serious health concerns if they are just assumed to be simply a gut issue - it is not uncommon for them to show up acutely. The root cause of the diarrhea has to be identified to know what is going to help treat the problem. Fasting or feeding mild diets don't address the problem at hand - it's better to find out for sure what is causing the diarrhea and treat appropriately.
    Tuzyae

Answer by Tuzyae at 11:27 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• when my dog had this the vet said rice or chicken boiled
    san78

Answer by san78 at 6:06 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• if no improvement or gets blood in it then see a vet, actually id call one anyway for advice
    san78

Answer by san78 at 6:07 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• give him rice and dnt feed him his food for a good couple hrs after doing it
    christina410

Answer by christina410 at 2:46 AM on Jan. 20, 2011

• We left him at home alone for around 3 hours. We came back to a big mess. I think he might have eaten something he shouldn't have. Maybe a kid left a cookie or something that I wasn't aware of. He is 1 1/2 years. He is not lethargic. It started around noon.
    mompam

Comment by mompam (original poster) at 5:45 PM on Jan. 15, 2011