Any tips on transfering a 2 year old into a twin bed?

I just bought a twin bed for dd (with rails) that will be arriving on Tuesday. She doesn't seem very interested in it so far, so how can I make the switch a good transition for her?

I was thinking about letting her choose a comforter or quilt to get her excited about sleeping in the big girl bed, but I'm not sure what else I can do.

Namaste17

Asked by Namaste17 at 4:47 PM on Jan. 15, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Is she going from a crib or a toddler bed?
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 4:51 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• She is going from a crib.
    Namaste17

Comment by Namaste17 (original poster) at 4:51 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• My four year old is still in her toddlers bed. The twin bed is in her room, but she is not eager to make the switch. She is visiting her other grandmother out of state until tomorrow and I thought about removing the toddler bed. But decided that there was no reason to do that. Is there a reason you want to make the change now?
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 4:54 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Yes, we have a new baby on the way that needs the crib. I wanted to get dd used to the bed before the baby arrives and she feels like the baby is taking her things.
    Namaste17

Comment by Namaste17 (original poster) at 4:56 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• She's still pretty young so expect this adjustment to take a little while. We moved our son at 22 months and it was about 6 weeks before he was settled in. You can try having her help pick out bedding but dont' be surprised if she doesn't really care. We actually moved our son with only the bedding from his crib to make it easier. We didn't add "real" blankets/sheets until he was settled in. Talk lots about the move. We initially sat in the room with him and would stay only if he stayed in his bed. If he got up, we put him back in and left. We'd go back in a bit later and try again. We gradually spent less and less time in the room unless he got the idea. We kepted his door closed (with a doorknob protector) to make sure he stayed in his room. (Worked better for us than gating the room). Expect that you'll be putting her back into her bed a lot at first but do it calmly and consistently. She'll get the idea.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 5:01 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Ok thanks, it's ok with me if it take awhile for her to get used to it. And if that's the case I'm really happy that I didn't wait until the last minute to introduce the bed... we have a couple months to work with.
    Namaste17

Comment by Namaste17 (original poster) at 5:06 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• When we transfered ds to his big boy bed, he did just fine. He loves his big boy bed. I think what helps is ds gets to help make his bed.
    jilligan362

Answer by jilligan362 at 8:46 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• We moved my 2 year old from her crib to twin size bed the weekend we found out we were pregnant with baby number 2. She loved it and had no problems with it b/c she loves Dora and we got her a whole Dora sheet and comforter with her Dora doll to sleep with. So, I guess with the comforts of those, she loved it and I think she sleeps better in her bed than she did her crib.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 3:40 PM on Jan. 16, 2011