PLEASE HELP!!! I am considering fostering my sister-in laws new born till he can be adopted.

Long story short, my husbands sister is crazy (clinically) and recently had a child. The state is working hard to build a case to terminate her parental rights, mean while the baby (two weeks old now) is in foster care. Although I am not intrested in adopting him myself I am not comfortable with a new born being in foster care. We have family friends that are intrested in adopting him, but first her rights have to be terminated.

To get the baby out of foster care faster my husband and I have decided to foster him till her rights are terminated. CPS will be coming by soon to do a HOME STUDY to make sure our home is suitable for the baby. Although I am not worried I just would like to have a heads up on what they are looking for!!

If anyone has been through this please offer some advice/

Thank you for your time
:)

DEEANNALAMB81

Asked by DEEANNALAMB81 at 4:57 PM on Jan. 15, 2011 in General Parenting

• gud luck :)
    DawnLauren

Answer by DawnLauren at 5:01 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Sorry, I have never done foster care. I just wanted to respond and wish you luck, taking on this little angel will be a blessing. I hope everything works out.
    Kellyjude1

Answer by Kellyjude1 at 5:03 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Thats great that you are doing this for the baby. Just keep in mind that it will be hard to let go when he is adopted. As far as CPS goes I would google the standard guidelines for your state. Theres gotta be some kind of check list out here. Aside from cleaniless safety is a biggy. Though its just a new born make sure there are no weapons in reach of a child. For instance if hubbys a cop or a hunter make sure you have his gun(s) locked tight. Thats the first thing that comes to mind with me! But as I said just google it. Im sure babyproofing light sockets and such arent what they are looked for. Good Luck!!!!!
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 5:05 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Never been through this good luck. I assume they want a clean safe stable home, no dangerous pets or any other type of danger, a baby room. GL with that.
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 5:06 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• They will look to see if you have safety covers on your electrical outlets, unfrayed cords; childproof drawers in all kitchen and bathroom cabinets; proper equipment for a newborn--crib or bassinet, blankets, flannel sheets, diapers, etc., fire extinguisher that is up-to-date; childproof cabinet doors under sink in kitchen and in bathroom and laundry room, no accessible plastic bags or easily swallowed items, a gate for in the house; a pet that could be injurious to a child. In other words, they are looking for anything that could hurt the baby in any way.
    ChezBelle

Answer by ChezBelle at 5:12 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• sarasmommy makes good points. Where the baby will stay/sleep is a something theyll want to see. And pets too. If you have a dog thats considered "dangerous" they will look into that too
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 5:12 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• They won't let the friends who want to adopt foster? It seems so sad the baby will have to go from home to home like that... I don't know anything about the system so I am no help but I wish you the best.
    Anonymous

• They will be looking to see if your home passes the state licensing standards (smoke alarms, safe water, fire arms put away, etc etc). They will tour the home and look to see where the children sleep or will sleep. In a babys case looking for a crib and that you have everything you need to care for a new born baby in your home. They arent looking for spotless, but for a family friendly environment where you can raise a child and the child will be comfortable. Poisons and household cleaners should be in cupboards with childproof locks, window drape cords should not hang within reach, firearms should be inaccessible to children, etc. Some States require an inspection from local health and fire departments in addition to the visit by the social worker.
    Good Luck.

Answer by gemgem at 5:18 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Thank you all for you comments. I do have three kids 10,8 & 6 so luckily must of the child proof stuff is still up. It is just a weird concept for me to have someone coming in and judging our living conditions.....haha. I am not worried I just am a little uneasy. I have read of people having home studies done for adoption and them taking up to 5 hours, maybe that is why I am nervous. What could there possibly be to discuss for 5 hours?.......haha.
    DEEANNALAMB81

Comment by DEEANNALAMB81 (original poster) at 5:18 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• . I have read of people having home studies done for adoption and them taking up to 5 hours

When I googled your state guidelines for fostering it said that not only will CPS inspect but the Fire Dept and HHS will too. Maybe thats why it can take that long? Not sure . but again GL!!
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 5:22 PM on Jan. 15, 2011