If they changed how your home water was measured and billed...

If you went form a flat rate under X gallons was X amount to being billed X amount per gallon (or per 5 or 10 gallons) would you try to use less water? If you are already billed per gallon what if it went to a flat rate? Which would you or do you like better?

We went to a flat rate a while back and I must say I am getting less and less conscious as to hoe much water we use because our bill is not effected. Not that we go wasting it for the sake of wasting it but I find my self less worried about how full the kids tub is filled and less worried about running the sprinkler some in the summer for play and less worried about the number of toilet flushes per day... I know it all adds up but it's hard to judge when your bill is always the same. I think I preferred the per gallon charges.

But_Mommie

Asked by But_Mommie at 5:01 PM on Jan. 15, 2011 in Home & Garden

• We went from a monthly rate to having it charged by the gallon and I am watching the water usage more
    alotleft2do

Answer by alotleft2do at 5:19 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Our water bill is combined with our electric and trash collection. We see such a huge flux in our electric that I don't notice the water part of it.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 5:03 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• We would continue to live the way we always do! We're not wasteful, per say, but we're also not "ultra mindful!" Our home is our "oasis." We rarely travel or take family vacations (and when we do, they are day trips and to affordable family friendly locations)--we have an inground pool, jacuzzi tubs, and a lawn irrigation system, and we let the kids play on slip and slides and under water sprinklers when the weather is "iffy" or the pool is too cold to swim in. We will spend whatever we need to in order to enjoy living in our home--it all evens out in terms of annual expenses.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:55 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I have well water, and only worry when the weather man tells me to. But, I try not to waste water just the same. We take showers, we turn the water of in between washing and rinsing the dishes when not using the dish washer. We try very hard not to waste it.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 8:03 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• We have a well also and I never waste water to begin with but I think going to charging by what you use is a great idea
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 8:58 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I used to live in a village that had this per gallon usage billing. Sewer was billed based on how much water you used also, so it was like a double whammy. I am so glad that I live in the country with a healthy well of water.
    marchar2002

Answer by marchar2002 at 10:18 PM on Jan. 15, 2011