My husband does not keep his promises.Why should I keep mine.

long story short.After years of promises not kept unless I bitch him out about it,I just wish he would keep his mouth shut.and not promise me anything.How do you deal with it if you are in this situation?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:56 PM on Jan. 15, 2011 in Relationships

• Well two wrongs don't make a right. Why step down to his level? Have you tried talking to hm and how it makes you feel when he doesn't keep his promises?
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 5:57 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Spite isn't going to make anything better. Maybe try working on the communication between the two of you.
    MommaTurbo

Answer by MommaTurbo at 6:00 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I kno how that is. Keep ur promises bc it's the right thing to do. He'll get what's coming to him. I believe in kharma. ;)
    melrose79

Answer by melrose79 at 6:00 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• He thinks he does no wrong.I have tried.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:00 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Talk to him about it and if it dont stop then everytime he promises something do it/buy it/ fix it yourself and tell him that when he said he promised you assumed he meant not gonna happen like always
    Rockabye

Answer by Rockabye at 6:01 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• You should tell him to his face hey you keep making promises if you do not intend to keep them maybe it would be nicer for me if you did not make them after so many times you need to come right out and say it.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 6:04 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Can't say that I blame you. It does take effort to try to keep a promise. Talk to him to see if going to make that effort and if not then you certainly are not required to keep yours.
    musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 6:04 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Mine is a stubborn, hard headed, jerk that believes he does no wrong sometimes too. I know this sounds hokey, but nothing really started to change til we started going to church and changing the focus of our lives. We still have issues and he's still as stubborn as a mule sometimes, but it's finally starting to get better!
    MommaTurbo

Answer by MommaTurbo at 6:08 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Marriage is hard work sometimes. Continue to tell him that he does not have to say yes to everything. It is ok to say no he is not available to do such and such....and support him on that. When you ask him to do something for you, make sure you are giving him the option yourself to say yes or no. Set that example for him yourself as well. My husband used to have so many demands put on him from his family and from me, work..just anyone he ran into contact with because he is such a generous person that after a while he just said yes to get through the moment and get that person off his back. I used to get so upset with him when I would wait and wait and things never happened. I had to look at the big picture and be a little nicer about what I was asking of him...and teach him to say "No". Its really helped us.
    Anonymous

• I'm with Rockabye. That's what I do bt I say real sweet w/ a smile, "I already took care of it bc I figured u wouldn't have time." (Then I'm the good guy & the hero. It's already wrked w/ bringing in the trash & recycling bins. He doesn't do it everytime he promises bt has more often bc he doesn't feel needed. Altho there's still a door he's promising to fix that's needed to be fixed for abt a yr that he hasn't fixed bt I'm abt to have that taken care of too. Is he promising to do something, fix something, or not do something that upsets u?
    melrose79

Answer by melrose79 at 6:18 PM on Jan. 15, 2011