Called Racist because won't let my daughter watch Dora or Diego

My family keeps calling my racist because I won't let my children watch the two shows. I'm sorry but it just bugs me how they talk a lot in Spanish and don't even translate most of the time. I let my child watch Handy Mandy and Ni Hao Kiland. In those they translate but in Dora and Diego they don't most of the time. How I'm I racist because I don't let them watch a couple of Spanish shows?

Edit: I don't want them learning Spanish now because I want my children to learn the language they want. Not the language society thinks everyone should learn.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:15 PM on Jan. 15, 2011 in General Parenting

• im not sure why you have a problem with your kids learning spanish...infact, learning multiple languages early on can help enhance a childs intelligence and has been shown to improve learning ability in other subjects...i would think any parent would be all for it.
    LoriaAnn

Answer by LoriaAnn at 6:41 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Dora translates, my DD's watch them a lot and just from watching the show my 2 yr old can count to 7 in spanish. they dont watch diego cause he is a boy and my oldest DD says she can only watch girl shows LOL.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 6:17 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• It seems like it is your personal choice and they should just let you parent your own way.
    I let my daughter watch Dora but she preferred Blues Clues.
    idaspida

Answer by idaspida at 6:17 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• You are not a racist. But my son watched all those shows and he picked it up pretty fast. I was surprised with what he could say in Spanish. But as a parent it is your choice. But you know they teach Spanish early in school now? I know all my kids have a Spanish class and my son is just in 1st grade. But if you think it is too advanced for her than that is your decision. I havent watched Dora lately but when my kids use to watch it, they did translate. But my kids are "too old" for Dora now.
    True_Gator_77

Answer by True_Gator_77 at 6:21 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Not racist but seems like a silly reason. And they do translate everything. My 4yo was telling me all the Spanish words she learned on Dora the other day. Heck she made me watch an episode and Dora was singing a song that had the Spanish words and the whole son was about what the Spanish word means in English.
    Me and her even discussed how Isa only knows Spanish and how she should learn some English already since Boots is learning Spanish.
    I don't get what people have against learning Spanish. I grew up in a Mexican neighborhood as did my kids. Dora and Diege are like the friends they had...speaking both Spanish and English.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 6:30 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• i don't think it is racist but i think it is a good idea to expose their young brains to another language..
    gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 6:33 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Lol wow, that's silly...people want to call anything racist.... O I guess I'm racist because I let my child drink white milk, we should be drinking chocolate milk! Lmao : D
    Raccoon

Answer by Raccoon at 6:18 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I want my children to learnt he language they want. Not the language society thinks everyone should learn.

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:42 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I understand not watching letting your kids watch them because it is your choice, although my DD did watch them and they always translated when she watched the show. She watched it 5 years ago so things may have changed. I wouldn't say you are racist because you don't let her watch it.

You have to do what you think is best for her..good luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 6:43 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Do your kids want to watch Dora & Diego and you won't let them or do people think you should make them watch them and they have no interest?
    sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 7:54 PM on Jan. 15, 2011