was looking through some ads of standard poodles...

and came across from colors i have never seen or heard of. i think they are beautiful. i'm refering to brindle, sable and phamtom colors. wow! also i have heard of parti's and at first i didn't like them but they are growing on me. have you guys heard of these colors and what do you think of them?

i would post a link but when i do they never work! sorry you may have to search for yourself unless you already know what i'm talking about. just curious if i'm the only one who likes these colors.

melody77

Asked by melody77 at 6:16 PM on Jan. 15, 2011 in Pets

• I have, my DH'sa dog was a pit bull and very loving. He was brindle.
    idaspida

Answer by idaspida at 6:19 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• yea but brindle in pits i think are pretty normal. i don't know!
    melody77

Comment by melody77 (original poster) at 6:35 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I love, love, love standard poodles and have done a lot of research on them. I was shocked by all the colors but I loved them all they are so pretty.

SweetOrangeMama

Answer by SweetOrangeMama at 7:04 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Those colours are not standard on poodles. Poodles come in three colours, apricot, white or black.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 7:33 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• It is a fad and a money maker.
    Some of these colors come from a recessive gene-and there has been discussion regarding the link that gene might have to temperament and health. I believe that many of these "rare" and "unique" coated dogs are unstable and unhealthy due to the type of people breeding them who give not a hang to their health or temperament. They only think about the money they make selling them to people looking to have the most standout dog on the block. These breeders often do not run any health clearances, or compete in competitions to judge them next to the breed standard. Other breeds have rare colors with irresponsible breeders looking to make money off of the fad too, just look up silver labs.

Responsible breeders will be breeding the solid colors, white, black, chocolate, red, apricot and silver, which adheres to the breed standard.

Health & temperament should be the priority when selecting a pet.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 10:15 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Becareful with that. Dogs have health problems when breeders start getting "rare" colors.
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 1:28 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I think if you truely want a pure bred.. you should be going to dog shows/ finding lists of GOOD breeders/ talking to any breeder and asking questions. Otherwise why waste your time and money on a dog that could be unstable? If you don't want a pure bred dog that has good lines and good health, then why not adopt from a shelter.
    MyIslandGirls

Answer by MyIslandGirls at 4:50 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• i was just looking. i think they are beautiful. i browsed and saw that most breeders have done testing on these types of dogs. i also heard that these colors actually existed in the earlier yrs but were bred out. who knows i just wondered if anyone else thought they were pretty. i also think the really red ones are pretty.
    melody77

Comment by melody77 (original poster) at 6:09 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• i wouldt mess abt with colours ..
    san78

Answer by san78 at 6:06 AM on Jan. 18, 2011