Will you vote for someone who uses the Giffords shooting as a campaign talking point?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 7:04 PM on Jan. 15, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I suppose it would depend on the context and where the candidate stands on other issues. On this tragedy alone, no, I can't say that it makes for much of a platform, but if it fits in as an example of some policy that he or she believes in, then I'd listen, but I doubt that it would have much weight on my decision. There are so many other issues facing us, that while this tragedy can add to the conversation on several subjects, in and of itself, it's not something that would make or break my vote.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 7:13 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Depends on how they use it...I agree with the PP.
    nsrush83

Answer by nsrush83 at 7:19 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I agree with jsbenkert. It depends on the context.
    zebbiebug

Answer by zebbiebug at 7:28 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• If It was in regards to improving mental health treaments,options and funding, yes!
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 7:29 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• You mean like Obama... his whole speech the other day sounded like the start of political campaign... It was a freakin memorial service... I felt like I was listening to a campaign speech... I am just not a fan of politicians... any politician!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 7:31 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• You mean like Obama.

He dropped the first shoe, but I don't for a second believe that the left is going to hold a monopoly on it by the time the primaries roll around. I also don't mean just presidential candidates. One of our local reps has already brought it up and managed to work it into his "letting it slip" that he's contemplating a governor run. (that's actually more what caused me to post this) It just seemed slimy all around, and in his case it wasn't about "we need better mental health" it was more "this tragedy shows we need to change the tone, blah blah blah, and I'm considering extending that change from here to the capital, mug mug, photo op photo op"
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 7:34 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I would really prefer if they didn't. There are plenty of other ways to discuss policy without bringing a situation that has nothing to do with it into the mix. For instance, I don't want my elected officials or even candidates running for the nomination to discuss any change to the second amendment. As for policy change regarding mental illness and observation, diagnosis, treatment and the like I would imagine would be a state issue and therefore my Senator and Congressman would discuss that. I don't know that anything could or should be changed in that case, it seems as though any direction is a slippery slope.

So I guess I would have to answer with No, I prefer that they avoid that subject.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 7:39 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Probably not. I mean I think we can expect alot of cards being used AGAIN in this election. We saw it in the last election. Both people campaigning will say things, the other will have to address it etc etc. If lets say it is used by the Democrats in this case then I would not hold it against a Republican candidate to address it and try to shut down that "card" because its in bad taste.
    Honestly we have much bigger issues to worry about then Giffords shooting. I am more interested in the out of control deficit and how it will get under control so my children and grandchildren will not be burdened with such a debt. I want to know a REAL plan about getting jobs back. About ending out sourcing or putting fines on companies who do it. I want to see real issues addressed.

Answer by gemgem at 7:52 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

Answer by Sisteract 21 minutes ago

Agree.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 7:53 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I would say no!
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 7:53 PM on Jan. 15, 2011