A question about SSI............

Every December I get $500 from my Indian tribe and Social Security knows that I get it once a year. They usually take the extra income out of February's SSI check. They usually do it automaticely becuase they know I get it. So when I got the check a month ago my husband (my payee) called them and told them over the phone I had received it. Usually we go in to the office and tell them but this year we didn't. I have yet to receive a letter saying they will be taking the $500 out of February's check. You would think I would have by now. Will they still be taking the $500 if I didn't get a notice? Can they even do that? Maybe I should have gone into the office. Will I get in trouble for not going in?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:16 PM on Jan. 15, 2011 in Money & Work

• My children get SSI and I am their payee. I have in the past talked to people on the phone and been told everything is ok and then no check. I'd go into the office if I were you.
    mollgirl

Answer by mollgirl at 5:45 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• My son gets SSI and I am his payee. We recently moved to a less expensive place in Sept. I completely forgot to contact the SS Office about it. I got a letter because it was time for me to fill out the form to determine whether he would still be getting his SSI. I filled it out online and then called someone at the main office. They took my info. and then our local office sent me another form to confirm it. I sent that in and then called to make sure I didn't need to send any other papers in. The woman said everything was fine. I have no idea if he will be getting less money or not, because I never received a letter telling me one way or another.

You did what you had to do, so I would wait to see if they take the money out of your check next month. If they don't, give them a call and find out why they didn't. Hang onto that $500 though, because you know if they made a mistake they are going to want that money back.
    sarchasmicangel

Answer by sarchasmicangel at 1:40 AM on Jan. 16, 2011