Can the hostess of a party be responsible if....

A guest is found dead from alcohol poisoning the morning after the party?

Noosa

Asked by Noosa at 7:22 PM on Jan. 15, 2011 in Food & Drink

• It depends on a lot of circumstances. If the person drank all the liquor plus stayed the night at the hostess' home I believe she can be held responsible. It is truly a legal question.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:25 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• if the person found dead is of legal drinking age, then I dont think they can. Unless the hostess was the one serving the alcohol. the laws in each state are different and that can play an important part of this. I will depend alot on if the hostess knew how much the person drank, if she/he knew they had to much t drink and didnt try to keep the person in question from drinking more. There are a lot of factors to be considered. please note this is not legal advice just advice from a very knolegable person.
    Bobbi111

Answer by Bobbi111 at 7:29 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I don't think so.
    mommytoJames512

Answer by mommytoJames512 at 7:25 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• She could be, depending on circumstances.

Answer by older at 7:28 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I agree, it could go either way in a court. If she supplied the alcohol and knew they were drinking too much I think it could be involunitary murder.
    genagina

Answer by genagina at 7:28 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I doubt it.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 7:29 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I think you would be the responsible party, providing the alcohol, either way it is still your residence. If the person was underage, then yes deffinately. I know last year a kid from where i lived went to a party they were passing around a bowl of pills for everyone to take a handful, and there was alcohol also, the kid fell asleep, and a group of boys put him in the car and drove him home, his grandmother found him dead in his bed the next morning, they think they already knew the poor boy was dead and didnt want to get in trouble, but i know the owner was held responsible most deffinately.
    shannonrenee09

Answer by shannonrenee09 at 7:29 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• If the person is of age then you shouldnt be held accountable. Anyone can sue for anything though so it varies on the state and circumstances and if neglegance was involved
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 7:30 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I wouldn't think so.
    khf22

Answer by khf22 at 7:31 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I just want to be clear...it is not me...a father of one of my pre-schoolers was found dead today they have said alcohol poison is the cause. I know he was at a party yesterday. I am just to curious for my own good!
    Noosa

Comment by Noosa (original poster) at 7:33 PM on Jan. 15, 2011