McDonald's employee fired for letting Peterson (NFL) use the restroom

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/McDonald-s-employee-fired-for-letting-Peterson-u?urn=nfl-307841

An assistant manager at McDonald's was fired after allowing Minnesota Vikings star Adrian Peterson to use the bathroom while the restaurant was closed. 

While working the late-night drive-thru shift at 3 a.m., a female employee encountered a man standing outside the window who asked to come inside and use the restroom. After a little while, she realized it was the popular Minnesota Vikings star and opened the door for him to come inside and use the facilities. (The seating area at the restaurant is normally closed during the late-night hours.)

One week later, the mother of three was fired for the offense. 

"He's a public figure... I know him better than some of the maintenance people that come in and out," she told The Consumerist. "I never thought in a million years that that decision was going to cost me my career."

Jeez, McDonald's. It's not like she was letting in Brett Favre(notes) or Bryant McKinnie(notes). He's Adrian Peterson, the most famous Vikings player of all! If you can't do a solid for AD, who can you?

There's a silver lining at the end of these golden arches, though: After the local media reported on the woman's termination, McDonald's gave her back her old job.

Let this be a lesson to all you fast-food employees keen on handing out favors to famous athletes. It doesn't matter if Tom Brady(notes) walks through those doors; he has to pay $0.39 for supersizing just like everyone else.

mommy_of_two388

Asked by mommy_of_two388 at 7:39 PM on Jan. 15, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• The rules are there for a reason. Doesn't matter who he was. What if he'd just been some ordinary guy and she decided to let him in and he turned out to be a robber? Bad move, extremely bad move.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 7:44 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I worked in the restaurant industry and one reason for the rule is not just for safety of the employees, in fact Id say most restaurants dont care much about them. Its because if said famous dude came in and then slipped in fell while they were cleaning, mopping etc they could be sued in a big way. This employee showed she was willing to bend the rules. Thats why she got fired. It happens every day.

Answer by gemgem at 7:48 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• restaurants have rules for safety. Having been a mgr (while in college)~ There are so many scenario's where this could have ended worse than just losing her job. She should be grateful that Mcd's hired her back....
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:31 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• i would've stood by my decision to let her go, whether it was right or not is up to the rules that everyone must follow
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 7:42 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• First thing it brought to mind was a few years ago when Oprah threw an absolute tantrum because some fancy boutique in Europe wouldn't open their doors for her without an appointment after hours and with no notice. It turned into a big circus and included all these cries of prejudice, etc. Seems whether you let someone in or not, you're in trouble.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:44 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• brandyj, there are FREAKS out there... I worked at a restaurant near a well known PGA course, I know a couple family members of some PGA players who are creeps and assholes.... I wouldn't trust them in an quiet restaurant at closing time.... Would people let Charlie Sheen in?  HELL NO!  Just because this NFL player doesn't make the tabloids, doesn't mean he is 'on the level'....

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:49 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I agree with gemgem. I worked at McDonalds during college, and people will beg and plead and make you feel horrible for not bending the rules, but they keep workers safe. You have to be ready when you work with the public, especially as A.M., to deal with people being unreasonable about minuscule things.
    The McD's I worked at was in a Walmart, so some people thought we were open 24 hrs too. We got an old man in there one morning who was mad that the coffee wasn't ready, and we said "Sir, we aren't open yet." To this he replied, "Well, my watch says it's 7:30.. and your sign says you open at 7:30... so I want my coffee now." It was seriously like talking to a child!
    brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 8:36 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• What happen to giving her a warning?

I Wonder if the guy sent her a thank you tip?

gammie

Answer by gammie at 8:51 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• The restaurant owner/manager and McD's should have the right to make the rules that their employees must follow. They are the ones who have to put out the money for the franchise license, property taxes, code inspections, salaries, benefits, upgrades, etc. Employees are giving specific training during orientation about the rules of the establishment and if they choose not to follow those rules, they risk being fired. Isn't anyone accountable anymore for anything? We always seem to be apologizing for everyone.
    ChezBelle

Answer by ChezBelle at 10:25 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• You know, every single McDonald's I've been to has a sign on the drive through window stating that people who walk up to the window will not be served.
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 11:38 PM on Jan. 15, 2011