Can i use the crib for time out?

Everyone says put 18mos old DS in time out, he wont stay in a chair or corner. Can i put him in his bed for 1 minute?

Logan17000

Asked by Logan17000 at 7:48 PM on Jan. 15, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Time out for a child that young is just silly. It would be for 1 min. What would that teach him? This is a teaching time at his age. Teach him what you want him to do right. Don't concentrate on punishment. He has no clue what you want him to think about in time out!

Answer by admckenzie at 7:52 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I wouldn't because I was told that using a safe place for a punishment is not a good idea. I used a specific time out chair and for no longer than a minute per year of age.
    Noosa

Answer by Noosa at 7:54 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• No, bed should not be associated with punishment.
    Watch Nanny. You just keep putting them back in time out. Sometimes it has taken 20-30 times. Each time they are put back the times starts over. It is a job for you. It is definitely not easy. Being a parent is not easy.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 7:54 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Only if you want him to associate his crib with being bad. My girlfriend used a play pen that was ONLY used for time outs.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:54 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I do it all the time. 18 month old don't know enough to sit in place so I bought my son in his crib for a minute.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 7:51 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I did it all the time with DD. It wasn't her crib, though, it was her play pen thingy. She could crawl out of the crib by then. Now we have nothing to put her in except her high chair because she tries to flip the play pen and the crib is a toddler bed. Until he gets big enough to climb out, it's perfect for time outs IMO.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 8:21 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Of course he's not going to stay seated. He's testing his limits and putting him in the crib isn't going to teach him anything. He needs to make that choices to stay where he's told to stay. He can't do that if he can't escape. It's like putting something he's not supposed to play with out of his reach. That doesn't teach him not to play with it. That only teaches him that it's out of his reach and needs to try harder to get it. You need to stick with time outs in the chair. Keep putting him back silently after the initial time putting him down. Restart the time everytime. If it takes all day, then it takes all day. You need to show him that there are consequences and he needs to choose the right option in order to be let out of punishment. He can't make that choice if he's caged.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:57 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• the dr told me to put my daughter in time out in her pack and play with no toys. i have yet to even use time out. i am not sure if i am a fan. i just talk stern and give her the pointer finger. she does not like it but it stops the behavior. i think the crib would be associated with being bad eventually if you used the crib for time out . and i would not want the child to learn that the place for rest is a bad place. but to each their own though. if you don't have any other place then the crib would be fine. good luck
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 10:54 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I used the pack and play because I didn't want him to associate the crib with something unpleasant. 18 months is way too young to use Supernanny's technique of putting them back in time-out repeatedly, IMO. I would have preferred not to use time-out that young period, but I felt like I had to do something to teach him not to hit, and not to climb on things (safety). I made it super quick. It'd tell him "No hit!", put him in the pack and play and repeat, "No hit!" (or climb, or touch, whatever the issue was). Then, after no more than 1 minute - usually less - I'd take him and repeat (gently), "No hit. Gentle" And I'd model being gentle. Then hugs and kisses.

I do not believe in spanking and no one will ever convince me that it is even a little bit okay.
    JoeliePoelieMom

Answer by JoeliePoelieMom at 2:09 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Really JazzlikeMraz? At 18 months old? I'm with you on that at 2 1/2 or so, but I think 18 months is too young for that level of comprehension. I just don't think that's developmentally appropriate. It sounds needlessly stressful for a child who has only been on the planet for 18 months. My opinion. Maybe you didn't see how young the child is?
    JoeliePoelieMom

Answer by JoeliePoelieMom at 2:11 PM on Jan. 16, 2011