Help! Our new dog snaps at my kids!!

We just got a new dog about a week ago. He's a little 1.5yo pomeranian & is usually pretty good with my kids (ages 5, 3, & 9mo). But he has his moments of sporatic aggression. I can never tell when he's going to snap, because one minute he'll be playing nicely with my 5 & 3yo, then all of a sudden he's snapping & snarling at my 3yo. I admit my 3yo could be more gentle, but I am always there to watch them & coach their interactions with the dog. My daughter is learning to be more gentle, but it seems the dog isn't learning to play nicer. If I wasn't around to stop him, I'm pretty sure he would have bit her. I don't have any experience with aggressive dogs so I don't know how to correct this behavior. I really don't want to get rid of him but I might be forced to find him a new home without children if we can't find a solution. Does anyone have any tips? Thanks everyone.

rAbella

Asked by rAbella at 7:52 PM on Jan. 15, 2011 in Pets

• I wouldn't hesitate another day. I would get rid of the dog. Is it worth taking a chance. That dog isn't good with kids and shouldn't live with them. What if it bites one of them in the face?
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 7:56 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I'd find him another home.

Answer by admckenzie at 7:57 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Get rid of him!
    mommytoJames512

Answer by mommytoJames512 at 7:58 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• He would no longer be a new dog...he would be a gone dog :) Sorry.
    Anonymous

• Sorry but he is not a good dog for your family. I had to put a pet down because of biting.

Check out other kinds of dogs med. To large are better for kids.

gammie

Answer by gammie at 8:08 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• The dog has to go. It is not worth the chance. In one instant he could take out an eye. He could permanently deform your child. This dog needs to be in a home without children. It is not fair to either the dog or your children for him to be part of your family. Get rid of him tomorrow. Put a notice on Craigslist, post it on your facebook.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 8:08 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I do have experience with biting dogs. Do you know the history on this dog? You can take the dog to a behaviorist for an evaluation and some help to try to eliminate this behavior. Most likely it will require a great deal of time and it is questionable whether or not the dog will ever be reliable. Some might depend on the dog's history. Now, before everyone jumps on me here... yes I will add the *disclaimer* that NO dog is 100% reliable and all dogs need supervision with kids....

...However, there are dogs who are much more tolerant of children and do not have such a low threshold to bite or snap. You might do better with a more child friendly dog. This dog *might* be fine in an adult home. Last, don't be fooled by the size. Even a small dog can cause an injurious bite that can require stitches or cosmetic surgery. So, be very careful with this little dog in the meantime, while deciding which route you wish to take. *Hugs*!
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 8:12 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• since you dont know the dogs backgroumd. little dogs like the one you hsve sre not good around kids. when kids stop playing the dogs dont know the play has stopped and the can become aggressive. if it were me id get rid of the dog
    stressedoutgran

Answer by stressedoutgran at 8:12 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I totally agree, find that dog another home. My suggestion is that with having a small child, you might want to get one that's a puppy so it can grow up with your kids.
    SpaceToast

Answer by SpaceToast at 8:39 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Don't get rid of the dog, find the dog a new home. It's not the dogs fault. It's probably overwhelmed. Poms aren't very good with kids. They stress easy. And I can imagine it would be pretty scary for a small high strung dog to deal with the loundess of three kids. I'll bet there is too much going on in your home for your poor pup! :/
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 8:43 PM on Jan. 15, 2011