My son is going to get tubes put in his ears and im freaking out please HElp!!

HEs 14months but hes always had ear infections so they decided to put the tubes in but im so scared even though i no its a minor procedure the fact they put him to sleep freaks me out...any moms whos babies have had that done PLEASE HELP!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:03 AM on Nov. 13, 2008 in Kids' Health

• I havent had it done, but a few of my close friends have, and I assure you its nothing to worry about, and it will help him out! No more painfull ear infections!
    roxy1984

Answer by roxy1984 at 1:05 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• My little sister had them put in. She was fine. Don't worry!
    softchick21

Answer by softchick21 at 1:07 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• My son has had them in for almost a year now and it has been great! No more horrible ear infections and no complications! He will be just fine, so relax!
    LexsMami

Answer by LexsMami at 1:11 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• My son only had a couple of ear infections, but since he didn't pass the hearing test at school I took hi to the Dr. and he had 1 put in. I won't lie, I hated the thought of him being put under, (especially after fasting for so damn long til they finally took him in). He was fine hon, do not worry, we had a great laugh last month when my son found the tube (they fall out after a year or two). He tells me "mom I think I lost a piece tooth and it got in my ear while I was asleep". I asked him to show it to me and taking it outside in the sunlight it was a little round thing, like a nut from a pair of sunglasses. When I remembered what the Dr. told me 2 years earlier we laughed!
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 1:51 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• my baby daughter dint pass hearing test either she had ear infections but never cried .after a year doctor s recommended tubes. we were petrified like you because of sedation, it was so easy and for about 6 moths they worked as a charm it helped her ability to crawl stand and cruise 19 months she rejected them cause now her ears are always fill of liquid, I'm not sure if they feel out , now i take her to holistic doctors that people recommend to take the liquid out manually. tomorrow is her second appoint, she better he can manipulate them that was hes famous for -ill let u know but if you worry is the sedation don't its duper safe

youmakemydreams

Answer by youmakemydreams at 3:59 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• my daughter had the operation don u worry it is a simple procedure not complicated and it will better for him i was too scared about puting them to sleep but unfortunatly there is no other way to do so god be will u
    my daughter had it when she was 4 years but as i remember the doctors said that it is easier to do it for a baby
    fire

Answer by fire at 4:24 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• My son had this done at 15mths. My son's ENT was fantastic. But you said "they" decided to put tubes in his ears. No sweetie, you and his dad did. You are his parents. I know what it is like having a screaming baby in pain, congested, and miserable. We decided, after talking to our son's ENT, that tubes would be the best option for him. I don't regret it. It took 20 mintues (we spent more time in prep than in actual surgery) and then he was back in recovery with us. He also had his adnoids removed. The recovery time went well and he had no complications. Most children do not experience any complications. My child just turned 2 and his tubes are still in place, not a single ear infection since that time, and his speech is better. His ears were so full of fluid that he had a 20 to 60% hearing deficit. If you are nervous - talk to his doctor again.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 2:04 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• cont..As far as your baby being sedated, they use a medication called Versaid (sp). It is a wonder drug. This medication will make anyone (adult or child) sleepy but not totally under. It also is used for anxiety so that a person will not be so upset. My son who was so used to being poked and prodded was not over joyed to be surrounded by people in scrubs. But once they gave him Versaid they could do anything they wanted to him and he didn't care. Sedation doesn't necessarily mean to be out cold. Check with your doctor preforming the procedure about the type of medications they will use (you have rights as parents to know), what the medications do, and what the potential side affects are. I work in the medical field so I always know to ask about every last detail. My son was all the way put under but only because he also had his adnoids removed.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 2:09 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• my daughter has never had tubes in her ear but she has had surgeries since she was 13 months old and has one next week on friday and although the procedure it self isn't dangerous the anesthesia could be and that's the part that freaks me out the most also. I get very nervous and cry myself to sleep before her surgeries but all I can tell you to do is trust in the lord and pray. That's all I could advice you to do theres nothing you can do. During the procedure I would advice you to take a book with you or a notebook and write about how you feel that might help and maybe when your baby gets older he could read about your experience and what a little survivor he is. Good Luck! I will pray!
    babyangelromero

Answer by babyangelromero at 3:58 AM on Nov. 16, 2008

• My youngest son had tubes put in and his adnoids removed almost a year ago. Believe me, I was worried just like you, but it will be fine. When we left the hospital, he was wanting to go eat chicken and french fries. lol. We have not had any more ear infections since either.  I'll keep your family in my prayers. Let me know how it goes. No worries:)

peacekeepermom

Answer by peacekeepermom at 12:52 AM on Nov. 20, 2008