So we have to learn Spainsh? EDIT

I saw this in another post and was baffled, he mom of the post didn't want her kids learning Spanish yet. Wanted them to choose the language they wanted not the language society says.

A poster said this to the mom
if they want jobs when they grow up- they should learn spanish anyway! A lot of employers want bilingual english/spanish people

Seriously? We have to change our way of life and do things differently because Spanish speakers are either to stupid or lazy to learn English? This is suppose to be a free country. The melting pot but it seems like Spanish people are over ruling it. No wonder many white people cant get jobs they rather give them to Spanish speakers because most Spanish are lazy to learn the main language of America.

I mean WTF. I refuse to learn Spainsh just because people come into this country and expect us to so we can commidate(SP? them.

EDIT

I'm not lazy or stupid I am Bilingual. I'm Russian, came here LEGALLY. I came her for opportunities but they are all going to Hispanics and now I'm expected to learn Spanish. English was hard. If I knew I had to speak Spanish i would have learn that instead of English.
Where does it say I said English was the official language? Looks like people are stupid here, learn to read. I said it was the main language.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:11 PM on Jan. 15, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Honestly, it's discrimination to be barred from jobs because you don't know Spanish. Where we live, you literally cannot get a job now unless you speak that language. I have been turned down from every job from grocery store to department store to office job. There is zero reason for this.

nicole0708 - You need to get a grip. English is by no means the hardest language to learn. No one is saying people cannot speak Spanish especially if it's their first language only if you're going to be here it's only right to learn English. Unfortunately it's the bad apples who have spoiled it for the rest. One of those would be the woman at the community college I went to telling the libriaian, in perfect English I might add, that everyone in this country should have to learn Spanish because Hispanics were going to overrun America. This country caters to immigrants like no other country and the cost is too high these days.
    Anonymous

• I am sure we are all immigrants in the eyes of Native Americans (American Indian).
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 8:29 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I will say, we live in Fl and my aunt has her masters degree in elementary education and the school wouldn't hire her because she didn't speak spanish because there were so many students who only spoke spanish that they just put them into regular classes (most schools has ESOL, English as a second language) and all the teacher have to be fluent in spanish. My aunt ispeaks 4 languages (English, French, German and Greek) but she had to go learn spanish to get a teaching job in ther area. I don't think that was fair, this is the US, the idea is to come here and learn our traditions while keeping your own, not turn our country into yours. My dd is hispanic, her dad wants her to learn spanish but she doesn't want to and I feel that is up to her, she is learning German, like my family)
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 8:29 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Um, actually English is the official language of America. Want to guess how I know that? Because it's on every product sold here, has been spoken here for the last several hundred years and it's the language used in business and schools. So yes, English is the language.

Answer by Anonymous 12 minutes ago --------------------------------------------------------------------------

Actually, there is NO "Official Language" of the United States. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languages_of_the_United_States

5BabyBees

Answer by 5BabyBees at 8:44 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I don't think she was saying anyone has to learn Spanish. I think she was saying it's beneficial for ppl to b/c you will earn more money if you know both languages.
    genagina

Answer by genagina at 8:12 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• seems like Spanish people are over ruling it.

Ouch...your post is harsh....you know what....I bet the Native Americans thought that when European white settlers came in and were expecting them to move out and speak their language....hmmmmm......

Put yourself in their shoes for just a minute....yes I KNOW there are lazy Hispanics...but there are also lazy whites, blacks, etc.....you name the race....
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 8:41 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Yeah, OP you might want to master your own language first. Just sayin'

But seriously, if the majority of the immigrants were Chinese, that is what the language we'd need to learn would be. People in other countries already learn English, and many of their students learn another language on top of that. Why wouldn't you want to be able to communicate with others? In Rochester, NY there is a very big population of deaf people. Do you think it's a bonus for employers to hire someone who knows ASL? Of course it is. Instead of all this stupid nationalism, why not just be pragmatic, and learn. Learning is always a good thing.
    Saya

Answer by Saya at 9:01 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• It's not about Spanish, or people not wanting to learn English. It's about learning to embrace differences, and to step into someone else's shoes. Closed-mindedness will never solve anything. Neither will discrimination. Let's face it, we live in a multicultural WORLD (not just country), and speaking more than one language will open doors of opportunity.
    Reenieredhead

Answer by Reenieredhead at 8:28 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I don't understand why we, the American people (especially those of us in South Fl or TX) have to learn spanish because people come here and won't learn English. And to those of you who are complaining about the Native Americans and asking why we don't speak their language, it's because the Native Americans and white people fought and the white people won. If we had lost WWII, we would all be speaking either German or Japanese, that's the way the world works.
    Anonymous

• Actually, there is NO "Official Language" of the United State

It may not be the official language but it is the main language
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 8:49 PM on Jan. 15, 2011