Anyone know anything about a having a pet gecko ?

We went to the pet store tonight and my daughter wants a pet (she is 6). She has ben terrified of animals since she was tiny.. (especially dogs) .. We found that the gecko's seem pretty cute and small enough and they are in tanks so she can watch it and care for it .. The lady who was there told us horror stories basically about how we have to get all these crickets and feed it like 10 crickets a day and that we would spend about $200.00 setting this thing up and they might get sick if you dont have a certain type of bulb for them and then you have to take them to the vet..well we walked out very dissapointed and not wanting a gecko anymore but my daughter is crushed..so please anyone help!

lilshelby

Asked by lilshelby at 8:43 PM on Jan. 15, 2011 in Pets

• Geckos aren't easy to care for. You need a pretty pricey set up. They do bite too. I've had 3 of them. They eat crickets a few times a week. I wouldn't think it's an appropriate pet for a small child. They are tempermental and get sick easy too.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 8:45 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Thanks for the info! I didnt know they bite too! Yikes I think we will try something else!
    lilshelby

Comment by lilshelby (original poster) at 8:47 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• We just went through all of this....it is NOT a pet to be gotten without much thought and information.

My son is all about animals...wants to be a vet....for Christmas...after MUCH MUCH lizard research we bought him a bearded dragon.

Apparently from research they are the friendliest of all lizards...being refered to as the "dog" of the lizard world...lol.

My cousin just got a gecko...they dont get too large...but YES they do eat live crickets and also meal worms....which can be bought at the local pet store....

The set up can be expensive...they need an aquarium...heat pad...heat lamp....all of this can be bought at pet store too..

Our bearded dragon also eats crickets and meal worms.....live...but will also eat veggies...which is a plus since they are cheaper and can be bought easily at the grocery store...

The biggest drawback of a bearded dragon is the size...they get about 2ft long...but we knew this befo
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 8:48 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Geckos stay smaller.....

Anywho....basically...you would need to really learn about how to take care of him.....

They also carry salmonella...sometimes....you have to be VERY serious about handwashing every time you hold them....

I am not saying you shouldnt do it....but make sure you are ready....for the expense and know how to care for him....
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 8:49 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Thanks for the information ladies! There were some bearded dragons in the store as well..maybe that would be a better route? I will definately be doing some more research before we do this !
    lilshelby

Comment by lilshelby (original poster) at 8:59 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Bearded dragon may be better.....it just depends on what you can handle...right now ours is about 8 inches long...he is very cute...but like I said....he will grow quickly and need a larger cage....

I have a friend who is a lizard dude...lol...knows a lot about them. He had a beardie that he walked on a leash and it slept in his lap while he watched a movie...hahahahaha!

I wish the bearded dragon would stay smaller, but oh well....lol.

My son and his daddy love this lizard..lol. I would much have preferred a tiny furry kitten..hahaha!

But yes research...I looked up all types of stuff on them when we were deciding...its a lot of info to know :) Good luck!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 9:02 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• lol I would prefer the furry kitten myself ! However, because Iam licensed daycare my policy is pretty strict no furries running around. My daughter because its a baby one wants to buy it baby toys! LOL
    lilshelby

Comment by lilshelby (original poster) at 9:05 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Thanks everyone for your information it was very helpful for us.. we are now the proud owners of....HERMIT CRABS! They were a little more in our budget range as well as a little lower maintence for us as well ! :) Thanks again everyone!
    lilshelby

Comment by lilshelby (original poster) at 1:34 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• we have 2 chinese water dragons, they dont bite and not aggressive .. they do eat live food .. need more info pm me
    san78

Answer by san78 at 6:04 AM on Jan. 18, 2011