Has anyone ever gotten sick from eating xylitol? (could be TMI)

I am speaking specifically of diarrhea. I so don't normally eat much processed food, but DH brought home some little pudding cups and it wasn't until after we ate them and the diarrhea hit me like (sorry) a ton of bricks we realized one of the ingredients is xylitol (a sugar substitute). I also have this problem with fat-free stuff, like fat free chips? One of the reasons I avoid processed foods, ughhh. I am not familiar with xylitol, though. Anyone?

KnoxvilleDoula

Asked by KnoxvilleDoula at 1:20 AM on Nov. 13, 2008 in Health

• Yes it is a very common side effect. I also have that problem with xylitol and sorbitol. Many diabetics have that problem which is why splenda has been so widely used.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 1:24 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• happens a lot.. i never thought about it till now lol thanks!! but yeah ur not the only one!! :)
    chrstny88

Answer by chrstny88 at 1:22 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• SS cannot handle any of the sugar substitutes. Me, DH, MIL and my sister all get headaches from them, SS gets diarrhea as well actually. His BM however, will continue to give it to him because she is convinced that he is better off with that than actual sugar. To be fair the only thing I can think of is the "fake sugar" as we have taught SS to try to avoid. He only ever really gets diarrhea without a fever when he is with her, and we feed him more fruits and vegetables and juice so I don't think that is the problem. However, he eats a lot more processed foods there than here, but he does eat the same foods here. Not as often or in such high amounts, but I really think it is the substitutes. That is probably more than you wanted, but I am rambling tonight.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 1:24 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• Oh thanks for the answers, ladies, I was like what the HECK?! All the more reason to NOT EAT THAT JUNK!!! Seriously, I hit the bathroom running and have felt like crap (pun intended) ever since! He only bought them because they kept showing them on the show The Biggest Loser, lol! I guess their marketing worked.
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 1:46 AM on Nov. 13, 2008