S/O of another question - Would you immigrate to another country and not learn the language spoken there if you didn't already know it before you got there?

If not, would you not be afraid of being taken advantage of or not being able to communicate in an emergency situation? Wouldn't you be afraid of not being able to get a job?

I realize learning another language is hard but people do it every day. People have immigrated from the Middle East, Eastern Europe, Africa and I haven't heard the cry yet that all Americans need to learn any language from any of those places so Americans can get jobs.

I'm interested in other's opinions but not in fighting or bashing so let's keep it civil.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:57 PM on Jan. 15, 2011 in Just for Fun

• If I went and lived in another country I would learn their language and not expect them to have to change their ways of doing things for me
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 9:00 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• If I go and live in any country I will want to learn the language. It will be easier for me.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 8:59 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Of course I would learn the language of the country that I decided to live in. It wouldn't serve me not to.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 9:00 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I agree with you, whole heartedly, OP. I love other cultures, and am not against immigration... but I think it is extremely unwise to move to a country where you can't speak a word of the language.. and for the same reasons you mentioned.
    brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 9:01 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I wd do my best to learn the language.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 9:03 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I'll just move to England. I'll learn to speak their language! lol
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 9:16 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• No, if I went to live in another country I would make sure I studied their language. That's their country and their language. It would be inconsiderate and rude of me to expect them to cater to me and change their customs just because I was an idiot and didn't learn the language before I got there.
    sweettigeress

Answer by sweettigeress at 9:17 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I would learn the language. I wouldn't feel comfortable living in a country where I couldn't understand what people were saying to me all the time. I don't expect anyone to cater to me.
    earthangel217

Answer by earthangel217 at 9:24 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I say when in Rome. I would never move to a country and not know the language then bitch because I was taken advantage of or that they did not provide the drivers license application in English. If I am going to call that country home, I wouldlearn the language.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:10 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I learned enough Spanish to get by when I went to Mexico every other weekend.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 8:59 PM on Jan. 15, 2011