where do you all live that learning another language is a bad thing?

When did knowing and understanding another language become a bad thing? wouldn't you want to communicate in someones native tongue so they could be more comfortable with you so you can make more money. I mean iIknow english, spanish and a little ASL. I would love to learn any language. its so great. languages are great. when did we become so shut out from learning other languages. and where do you all live? I am just curious because it has become very clear tonight that people that do not learn english are stupid or lazy. which is ridiculous. most people that immigrate to this country do the jobs that noone else wants to do and that in my eyes is not lazy. so instead of judging why not learn about the other cultures. embrace them. we are americans no matter where we come from. they deserves the same dream our famililes recieved when they immigrated. and yes we all came from somewhere. stop judging and lets start learning acceptance.

so with that said,I just want to get an over all picture from others on what you all think.

lambdarose

Asked by lambdarose at 9:37 PM on Jan. 15, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• You don't HAVE to learn another language. Just like you don't HAVE to finish high school. Heck, you don't HAVE to take a shower. But these are things that employers are looking for. So, as schools are mainly preparing our children for the labor force, it seems fairly straightforward that schools would be teaching Spanish. This isn't a political debate, as much as we might like it to be. If it were political, we could get enough people together to legislate something. But it's not. It is a business thing. Money. Facts are, there are a lot of Spanish speaking people in the U.S. These people buy products and use services. These people are also a valued workforce. So, companies and organizations obviously are interested in bilingual employees. It is simply a matter of math and money. You don't have to like it, but it is what it is.

I'm from MI. Lots of seasonal immigrant labor. Lots of white people hatin'.
    Airamana

Answer by Airamana at 10:02 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• i am ok with learning another language but they need to learn our language! goes both ways!
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 9:38 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• What's so bad about learning English?
    My Father learned it before coming here to the US from WWII era Norway. He was starved and beaten yet learned English. I'd say if he could do it, so can anyone else.
    idaspida

Answer by idaspida at 9:40 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I speak 3 languages and I'm working on a 4th one, and let me tell you..they've all been extremely useful. There's nothing wrong with bettering oneself :)
    Raccoon

Answer by Raccoon at 9:39 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Knowing another language can only be an asset on your resume.

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 9:45 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Why do ppl vote ppl down that haven't said anything demeaning or anything that even shows that their opinino is one way or another?? Ppl are moody around here tonight.
    genagina

Answer by genagina at 9:50 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• When I came from my country...I learned enough English to get by.
    Even though I do not speak 100%....I even use Spanish way more than English...at least I know it though.
    khf22

Answer by khf22 at 9:39 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Learning another language is a GREAT thing. However, I (and many other Americans) do not want to feel coerced into doing so because foreign nationals come into the country and will not learn our primary language. Do you really not see the difference?
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 9:40 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I really want to learn spanish. A majority of my co-workers speak it on the workroom floor all am and I have no idea what they are saying, and more important, if they are making fun of me! lol
    Anonymous

• I speak Norwegian and English by the way.
    idaspida

Answer by idaspida at 9:42 PM on Jan. 15, 2011