2 languages

My son is 4 months old, and ever since he was born my husband and I speak both spanish and english I'd say pretty equally to him. My question is, will he be able to know a difference between the 2? Do u think we are confusing him? Will he pick up and be able to speak both? And will he have delayed speaking because we speak 2 languages to him?

PANZONSMOM

Asked by PANZONSMOM at 9:51 PM on Jan. 15, 2011 in General Parenting

• I'm sure he will. I speak English..but only when I'm out and about.
    In my home we speak Spanish...my oldest (3) does not speak English. At all.

I need to get the ball rolling so she will know both. Kudos to you!! It is great he'll know both.
    buen trabajo madre!!!! :o)
    khf22

Answer by khf22 at 9:54 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• My cousin is caucasian and his wife is Japanese. Both of their children grew up speaking both languages, but they didn't start speaking until well after a single language child would--probably about 9 months behind schedule. BUT when they began talking they both knew both languages AND when to speak Japanese and when to speak English!

Your child'sbi-lingual language capabilities will certainly be worth the possiblities of delayed speech!
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 10:57 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Kids are amazing. My grandmother's neighbor had a 3 year old who spoke English, Romanian, and German. As another mother mentioned, he used the languages in the appropriate situations.
    JZ10FPM

Answer by JZ10FPM at 12:12 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• He'll be fine. Young children are very capable of picking up languages- moreso than adults or older children. I really wish that I had used my second language more with my kids when they were babies. Now that they are school age, they are in french immersion schools and are picking it up that well, but I could have given them a head start had I spoken french more at home.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 12:55 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• hes only 4 mos. he doesnt understand what your saying only the tone. when he gets older speak one language at home and one at school
    stressedoutgran

Answer by stressedoutgran at 1:37 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Girl you are doing great. I had the same question when my daughter was little but the sooner the better. Now she is almost 4 and she knows both. There will be a period of time that he is going to mix Spanish with English but he will get it fast. My DD was about 2 maybe and she sounded so cute trying to talk and mixing both languages.Also when he starts school or daycare, etc he will master English so at home he will have the opportunity to master Spanish. Don't give up!!!
    bratgirln1

Answer by bratgirln1 at 3:13 AM on Jan. 16, 2011