Lawsuit/Garnishment?

I got a letter today from a lawyer's office. On the front it said advertisement. When I opened it up, it was talking about a lawsuit/garnishment against by husband and I and how they could help. This is the first that I have heard of this. We do owe the money and had planned on paying it in full when we get my husband's GI Bill money for February. I had told the hospital this over the phone. So, is there any way to pay this before it goes to court or does it have to be settled in court? Also, when will we be served or receive a notice of this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:01 PM on Jan. 15, 2011 in Money & Work

• If it s says advertisement I would ignore it, it could be a scam. I would call the hospital first thing Monday and ask if they sent it.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 10:03 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• That's what I thought too but they gave a case number. I have tried to look at the courthouse's webpage to see if I can look it up or something but so far I can't find anything.

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:06 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Agree, I would call the hospital and try to set up payment plans.;
    genagina

Answer by genagina at 10:07 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• You can still pay it before court. Or you could even go to court and get the bill lowered. Good luck!
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 10:07 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Yikes. I'd go to the courthouse on Tuesday (they'll probably be closed this Monday) and look up the case number just to make sure. You can work out a payment plan even minutes before they go to court. If they do take you to court the worst that can happen is that they garnish your wages. Which is probably fine since you guys were planning on paying it off soon anyway.

It really does sound fishy to me, but just to cover all your bases check and make sure it's a real court case first.

Good luck!
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 1:46 PM on Jan. 16, 2011