Homeschooling curriculum?

I am homeschooling my 1st and 2nd grader abruptly out of public school. What is good curriculum that is not costly and I can start in the middle of the year? We are a little lost, but for their own safety, cannot attend public school. Anyone have good ideas on where to start without purchasing the whole year?

beendethroned

Asked by beendethroned at 10:14 PM on Jan. 15, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Can you contact your state's version of OPI (Office of Public Instruction) for their curriculum requirements?
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 10:28 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I would suggest you do some research. There are so many to choose from. I didn't realize how much till I researched myself. I will be using A-Beka for my first grader in the fall.

Your board of education may have a list for you.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 11:01 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• We basically have no laws, requirements, ect for homeschooling. (LOL) They just said to make sure they are level with their grade in case I need to re-enroll them back in school. There are too few months left of this school year, so I think we will just buy next years.
    beendethroned

Comment by beendethroned (original poster) at 11:36 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• timeforlearning.com
    Anonymous

• I am considering using the CORE series..it's the "What your ___ Grader should know books and on their website, they have lesson plans that go along with the book.
    http://www.coreknowledge.org/lesson-plans
    bookmommy

Answer by bookmommy at 3:37 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I piece mine together. I have a first grader homeschooling as well. I will suggest you join Happy Homeschoolers here on cm.
    Here is a breakdown of what we use.

Reading/Phonics - Phonics Pathways, McGuffey Readers
    Math - Miquon and Horizons
    Spelling - clicknspell
    Science - they take classes along with using Singapore Science
    Geography - Globe, books, puzzles, etc
    Art - class and The Children's book of Art
    HIstory - The Story of the World

You can get lots of free resources through the library and on the internet as well.
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 8:35 PM on Jan. 16, 2011