How old were your children when they started brushing their own teeth?

My daughter is 3, and wants to brush her own teeth, but is obviously not good at it. Usually I let her start, then I finish up, to make sure she gets everything.

How old were your children when they brushed their own teeth? How many times a day did they brush?

mrskrisher

Asked by mrskrisher at 10:24 PM on Jan. 15, 2011 in Kids' Health

• I've found its much easier to brush them yourself first then let him do it on his own after. I asked my sons pediatric dentist this same question recently and he said most children shouldn't brush unassisted until they're about 8 but let them explore and learn on their own in the meantime and to brush your teeth while they're brushing theirs and have them mimic what you're doing.
    usbornebooksdh

Answer by usbornebooksdh at 10:37 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• When my girl turned about 18 mo old I bought her her own toothbrush and started to show her the basics. She actually did pretty good! She did better then than she does now though, at 2 1/2... she likes to suck the paste out of there & chew on it... but at least she's doing SOMETHING. Also she's gotten pretty "independent" and fights me if I try to "help". :\
    MamaLisa1976

Answer by MamaLisa1976 at 10:27 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I let my 2 1/2 yo do it first and then tell her that it is "Mommy's turn" and she is great with it.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:43 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Let her do it by herself then go back & do it after just tell her your double checking making sure she did a great job
    Marie_07

Answer by Marie_07 at 10:33 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• she is 22months and has been doing it on her own probably since 17-18 months. possibly before but hard to say. she now wants to spit out like me and get the water but she doesn;t really reach. its the cutest thing. she watches me and she loves to brush her teeth. she can wash it like 3 times a day or more if we let her. just randomly she just says teeth. its great. i think my teeth are cleaner because she loves to brush hers and if she brushing hers she points to my brush to have me join in. its like a big brushing teeth party. lol . i say let her do it and you do it with her and she can mimic what you are doing. its alot of fun to watch.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 11:01 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• ds was 2 when he started. dd is now 2 and she has been doing it too. they brush there teeth in front of me and i watch what they are doing
    knagsmom

Answer by knagsmom at 2:21 PM on Jan. 16, 2011