Necessary Information or Salaciousness for Ratings?

Do you think the public has any need to know that the AZ shooter made a video of himself ranting while wandering his campus? It was quickly taken offline for a reason; so why are the media and tabloids re-posting it? Other than law enforcement; how does the public being exposed to that helpful or beneficial in any way? How about them reporting something about photos of him in a pink g-string?

I didn't look at the stories just saw the headlines and the reason is; I don't need to or want to know these things about him. I don't care. They don't make me sympathetic; and even if they did I'm not on the jury so what difference would it make? Knowing these things doesn't make the public any safer; so why publish them? I'm not saying they should be suppressed or hidden; but why make a big deal out of them; if not for attention and ratings? And if that's so then why are *we* giving the ratings to them?

And can they stop with the uber creepy mug shot photo at the top of every news-site already?

beachmamaof2

Asked by beachmamaof2 at 10:41 PM on Jan. 15, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• It's news, they have to report something, and a lot of people out there do want to know the details about this case, they also want to know that this is some crazy lad who did this and not an average, ordinary American citizen. I think sometimes it makes people feel better if they can see that it's not one of "them", but it's somebody who clearly needs help.
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 10:55 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I am WAY more concerned with all the info that apparently NEEDS to be reported about our troops and where they are and exactly WHAT they are doing. THAT information, that some people think we need to know, gets people KILLED. This is just tabloid nonsense.

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 11:19 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Creepy sells almost as well as gory.

It's one thing to report the news, but the early reporting on this was mostly inaccurate slanders and finger pointing rather than 'news' or 'facts'. Following it up with this sort of crud only lowers my already dim view of American reporters/media ... and quite likely will make things a lot harder and more costly for the prosecutors. It's gonna be fairly difficult to put together an 'unbiased' jury when the entire nation has seen this guy posing in his undies.

They should stick to reporting news ... and leave the gossip for the Enquirer reporters imo.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 11:25 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• The media is just playing into the public's fascination with the macabre, because it sells!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 11:29 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• At least it's a fact, much was said in the beginning, that was vicious, as well as, not true and should never have been said…
    To each his/her own...
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 11:39 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Once upon a time the 'news segment' didn't have to pull in any ratings; it existed more as a public service than as part of the profit margin of the network. When that was true there were people like you know editors that would decide no, actually that's not pertinent news that's just a bunch of tabloid crap we're above publishing garbage like that; etc.

That is no longer the case; today the news is very much incorporated into ratings and network profits; and as that has happened we've seen more and more garbage presented as "news" just to fill air time and pad those ratings numbers.

And it isn't limited to just the macabre either - look I'm a die hard Beatles fan - but holy hell was it really "BREAKING NEWS" that iTunes was now selling their songs? That was like the biggest headline for two days!
    beachmamaof2

Comment by beachmamaof2 (original poster) at 12:14 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I was gained through the FOI Act. I think it lets those who doubt see his state of mind and understand he was coming unhinged. I don't feel sorry for him though. There are too many mentally unstable people out there who don't resort to spree killings. If we were to be afraid of all unstable people, most of us wouldn't go out in public. They are every where.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 9:49 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• IDK. Somewhat probably

But I am interested in all this, it really speaks to the complexity of the human condition. I have read books about serial killers, watched biography's....The psychology is an interesting aspect of what humans are capable of and how some minds work...

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 9:57 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• That's sort of my thinking though sweet - *if* people want to delve into his twisted mind they're welcome to wait for someone to do a tell-all biography or documentary about him; 'cause you know someone will buy his story soon enough...IDK I just don't see it as "news" I guess...
    beachmamaof2

Comment by beachmamaof2 (original poster) at 3:14 PM on Jan. 16, 2011