How to feed a family of 4 on $400.00 montly?

I am not from America and from Ontario. I have noticed you can live more cheaply for families there for some. I only have $400 to feed my family of 4( myself, partner, and my two toddlers). I don't mind having to bake, do once a month cooking, and searching/using coupons. I know this one women who has a family of five and spends $500.00 a month. I don't know how she does it. I would like for these meals to be healthy too. Any good ideas?

ChildGoddess

Asked by ChildGoddess at 10:48 PM on Jan. 15, 2011 in Money & Work

• Buy vegetables in season. Buy in bulk and freeze excess. Buy generic.

What do you mean by once a month cooking? Are you eating out a lot?
    bugfin

Answer by bugfin at 10:50 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Nope.
    ChildGoddess

Comment by ChildGoddess (original poster) at 10:52 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• What do you mean by once a month cooking? Are you eating out a lot?

OAMC is when you prepare meals in bulk on one day a month, freeze them, and then reheat as you go - kind of like making homemade tv dinners to last the month, only without all the salt and chemicals the real tv dinners have.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:53 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Buy a whole chicken, roast it, serve for dinner that day, and then put left overs into the soup. Save the broth from the chicken.
    Italian recipes, lasagna, spaghetti
    Hispanic foods...burritos, and everything you use to make a burrito you can double up and make tacos, tostadas etc. Basically you need chicken, rice, cheese, salsa, or home make it, tortilla, beans, some lettuce.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 10:53 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• i do it all the time on 300.00$ a month. i dont use coupons but what i do do is set a menu. i figure out what we ar going to have for the next two weeks and buy for the two weeks. each shopping trip is usually 150$ or less. and i shop twice a month. also the menu is usually filled with healthy cheap meals. just look at the meals you know how to make and figure out what needs the least items or meals that take the cheaper items. also dont be afraid to try some off brand items like canned or frozen veggies taste the same, canned soups usually taste the same, and buy meats in the family packs you usually get a better deal.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 10:54 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• yea, i dont know how healthy u mean, but i make some really really good diced beef for burritos, (mexican style), & also enchiladas, & chicken fettuccin alfredo,lasagna. guess those are not low fat. but all those are my best recipies, i'd be willing to pass them along
    hellokitty1978

Answer by hellokitty1978 at 10:57 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I use ground turkey insted of ground beef. It is cheaper and healther. If you season it right it taste the same. I also do left overs that alway helps.
    LADYA1983

Answer by LADYA1983 at 10:58 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I feed a family of 3 on $200 a month. I use coupons with the BOGO deals at our local grocery store as well as shop at save-a -lot and Aldi. BTW we shop once a month and did most of our shopping at Aldi this month and actually spent $150.
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:04 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• We also live off of ground turkey. It's typically about $1.20 per pound, and you absolutely can't taste the difference if you season the meat for spaghetti, tacos, etc. We'll mix it 50/50 with beef if we make hamburger patties...
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 11:07 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• We have a family of five and we eat on $300. a month easy. You look for the best buys. FYI, buying generic doesn't always equal the best price. Look at the price per ounce. Also, beans and potatoes go a long way! :-)
    Kerrigan357

Answer by Kerrigan357 at 11:07 PM on Jan. 15, 2011