got the depo shot on the 10th

i got the depo shot on the 10th. had sex today, the 16th. what are the chances of getting pregnant if i had my period when i had the shot?

i wouldn't be mad if i were...lol.

mama2bof2

Asked by mama2bof2 at 10:57 PM on Jan. 15, 2011 in Trying to Conceive

• 50/50? If you have sex, you become pregnant-or you don't. Simple.
    Anonymous

• If you are trying to conceive, then why did you get the shot?
    MommyBulger

Answer by MommyBulger at 10:59 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• i wouldnt worry the chances are slim. once you get the shot its pretty much effective within a few days. i was on it for 6 years and loved it.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 11:00 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• yes, but depo is birth control, so its not that simple really.
    mama2bof2

Comment by mama2bof2 (original poster) at 11:00 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• im not TRYING to concieve, i just had a baby 6 weeks ago, and hubby wanted to wait a yr or so. so i got the shot. but i've read people get pregnant on it, even with multiples...which run in my family! lol
    mama2bof2

Comment by mama2bof2 (original poster) at 11:01 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• If you miss your period and you are on Depo, you're not necessarily pregnant, as Depo Provera often causes missed cycles. I was on Depo for nearly 6 years and didn't have one period while I was on it. BUT if you think you are pregnant, just go into the clinic that administers the shot and ask for a pregnancy test... A common request from Depo users until they're comfortable with the shot! Good Luck!
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 11:03 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• i don't think im pregnant, just had unprotected sex today since having my baby 6 weeks ago. i just wanted to know what the chances were 5 days after the shot, if it was effective, yet yada yada yada........thanks!
    mama2bof2

Comment by mama2bof2 (original poster) at 11:05 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• The depo shot becomes effective immediately if it is given within the first 5 days of your cycle. I got the info from: http://www.webmd.com/sex/birth-control/birth-control-depo-provera. While there could still be a slight possibility, the chances would be very slim.
    trinsmom04

Answer by trinsmom04 at 11:10 PM on Jan. 15, 2011