What to do about a 14 year old smoking cigarettes?

I am no one to this child, he is merely my SO's son that he had with his (still legally) wife. This child's behavior is horrible and disgusting and he has been expelled from 2 schools and is currently enrolled in night school at 14 years old (don't ask me how that works, I do not know and do not much care). I do care that when he spends the night here he smokes cigs. and his father lets him, I get the feeling he is not allowed let alone even tries to smoke anywhere else. I want it to stop, my question is what to do or whom exactly to call and report it to. Do I call the police or CPS or what? I would NEVER allow this with our 2 yr. old under my roof EVER (when he is that age). His father will not grow some balls and stop it, I WILL regardless of the consequences!! I have complained to his mother and grandmother both and the little shit is still smoking in front of them and it's pissing me off, they are endangering this child health by allowing it. Any advice appreciated and welcomed, as long as it refers to the subject at hand.

truthteller0722

Asked by truthteller0722 at 11:07 PM on Jan. 15, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• You don't have a legal obligation to report the abuse his parents are inflicting on him by allowing him to smoke, but a pediatrician and a teacher do. Consider placing this tough decision in the hands of someone official and backing gracefully out of the fray...
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 11:16 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Im a different anon so hold on here. But I do have a question from your post. You said in the beginning that so and wifey are still legally married? Is that true? If thats true then you dont have to put up with anything here, you dont have to tolerate a dang thing in your house. Legally there is nothing holding you to this kid. Unless this is the address specified on court documents, but Im thinking not if they are still married. Screw em all,,,,tell so to hang out with his son elsewhere when he has visits with him. Thats my take on it.
    Anonymous

• New anon here...but I'm confused. Is this child smoking in your house? If so you have the right to say no to that. Make him go outside!
    Anonymous

• Its really his own business, and the fathers. YOU can't put a stop to anything. Like you said, you are nothing to this child.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous 2 minutes ago

This
    khf22

Answer by khf22 at 11:14 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• NO, I will not leave it alone anymore! This child will be a role model for mine and I will not tolerate this. I want to report it to someone, it is illegal behavior and it must stop!
    truthteller0722

Comment by truthteller0722 (original poster) at 11:17 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I have no experience with this however I have a neighbor that went though it. What they did was make the kid smoke an entire pack in front of them, making him really sick. In the hopes that he would notnwant to ever smoke again. I am not sure that was such a good idea but might be worth a try. They used unfiltered too! Good luck to you. Reading about second hand smoke for so many years I am surprised at how little the father of your young child seems to care.
    Noosa

Answer by Noosa at 11:19 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• smoking is horrible at any age. but if u really want to be with his father, i guess u need to deal with his kids also. especially if his father & mother arent trying to stop him! if u disagree about something like this, prepare for other disagreements in everything, especially raising any kids together. or your kids if u have some. would u want him telling u what to do with ur kids? youd really call CPS over this!? thats not good theyd take the child away from his fam & really mess him up.u should care about that!
    hellokitty1978

Answer by hellokitty1978 at 11:19 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• would u want him telling u what to do with ur kids? youd really call CPS over this!? thats not good theyd take the child away from his fam & really mess him up.u should care about that!

^^^^^

Nailed it. Best answer, right there! Grin and bear it OP!
    Anonymous

• I sure will call CPS if it does not stop soon, it offends and infuriates me as a mother! It is against the law, have you all forgotten that part?
    truthteller0722

Comment by truthteller0722 (original poster) at 11:25 PM on Jan. 15, 2011