DD is Cutting

Yes we're getting counseling.

Yes we're watching her.

No we're not hiding sharp objects - even a paper clip would work.

What else can we do?

Tags: cutting, self-harm, reasons, what's a mom to do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:10 PM on Jan. 15, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• sounds like your doing everything you can do. or at least everything they tell you to do. you might want to see about antidepressants for her as well if she already doesnt have them.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 11:12 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• i wish you the best of luck.
    laura970

• Terrified of anti-depressants. Older DD was on them and it made her issues worse, not to mention the more recent studies that show they're as bad as they are helpful.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:14 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Read How to Stop Walking on EggShells. Cutting is associated with BPD. We cannot help that we cut. It's part of the disorder. Not much you can do but accept her problem and be supportive. Don't yell at her. She can't stop. It's an urge that we can't stop.
    Anonymous

• Check to see if there is a church doing Celebrate Recovery in your area ( http://www.celebraterecovery.com/?page_id=7 ). There are a lot of teen girls who do this cutting thing. It's so sad but she can get through this.
    Kerrigan357

Answer by Kerrigan357 at 11:16 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• i dont like to think about antidepressants either esp for yound kids since their brains are still developing and it changes the chemicals in the brain. but other than that i think you are doing a good job and doing everything you are suppose to. gl and try to research cutting for yourself so you can better understand what is going on.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 11:18 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Thanks for the encouragement....we have several places in the area that do Celebrate Recovery...I will check out Walking on Eggshells. Thank you, ladies.
    No one is yelling at her, but I'm wondering if we can ever leave her alone, and if so, when? We just started counselling, although we had been previously.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:21 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I've known two young girls who cut. Both did it for deep sorrow--one lost her boyfriend in a terrible crash, and another was molested. Both did it to focus on the physical pain rather than the mental anguish. And it worked for them until they learned other methods of coping.

It sounds like you've taken the appropriate steps, but don't neglect the importance of one-on-one time with her. Just doing simple things together may have a positive impact on her.

Keep up the hard work!
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 11:25 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• My brother went through this and he got consueling. It helps but they need to feel that there is one person they can talk to that will not judge them. His counseler told him to pick one person to call or talk to when you feel the need to cut. He picked me and I am still that. I check him and he talks to me and this has helped him. He also writes in a notebook that only she can read and now he trust me enough to let me see it. I say every situation is different and every reason for cutting is different. I will take time o don't think it is you it is a work in progress. I WILL BE PRAYING FOR YOU AND DDAN FAMILY ALSO. GOD BLESS YOU ALL!!!!!!!!

LADYA1983

Answer by LADYA1983 at 11:28 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• You're doing good and you're right about the sharp objects, she could even use her own nails to get the effect she thinks she needs right now. Her mind and emotions are in turmoil and she's using her own bodies chemistry like a drug to get away. You have to get her out of her head. No matter what, you tell her that you love her every day. And take her to do things, the more active she is the less time she has to think about problems. She's old enough for community service and maybe if she does something to help others she'll feel better about herself. It's an idea.
    BUTTERCUP777

Answer by BUTTERCUP777 at 11:46 PM on Jan. 15, 2011