Do you involve your child(ren) in politics?

No matter conservative or liberal- do you involve your child in politics?

My daughter goes to protests with me, she voted in kids vote and we talk about why I vote the way I do. I lightly discuss some issues with her and she is two and a half.

Do you involve your kid(s) in politics?

lovetoteachec

Asked by lovetoteachec at 1:45 AM on Nov. 13, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• wow. Yes i do involve my kids in politics, but they are 9, 11 and 13. I would be very surprised if your daughter knows what you are talking about. :)
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 1:54 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• I try to objectively. I don't say what I think is right. I will present the ideas with both the good outcomes and the bad, and I also present good and bad things about each candidate. That way he is informed about the actual issues and not just my opinions. We actually had a problem with SS this year because they did the kids vote thing at school and he said "It doesn't matter as long as we get that idiot Bush out of office. He is dumber than a box of rocks." Yeah, verbatim repeated something BM and her mother discuss a lot. I think that the former is acceptable however, the latter example is not.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 1:54 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• You Betcha! Right now we are focusing on US History, Elections, and we ALWAY are teaching about the Constitution... My hubby (military) has to travel a lot, so my 6 year old is active in learning about his Plane/Job...
    We read these books regularly that help us explain Politics and Current Events:
    Our 50 State, A Family Adventure Across the United States
    Duck for President
    House Mouse, Senate Mouse
    I'm Just a Bill!
    We the Kids: The Preamble to the U.S. Constitution of the United States
    ~Also, we will talk bits and pieces of current events politics, HOWEVER I don't usually let them watch the news, unless I have tivod it and can skip the innapproriate news nits.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 7:10 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• Also, I grew up with a Hippie-Liberal mom, and a Conservative dad. So, it is part of my upbringing. I don't force my side of politics (nor does my husband). We think that they need to know the history of this nation first. Something Preschool and 1st grade aren't teaching as well as I would hope in my town...
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 7:13 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• Ohh, but I did take them to hear Sarah Palin speak.. My 6 year old was very impressed and said. "I want to do that someday"... I tried to take them to hear Obama speak, however he was "Invitation Only" (fundraiser) when he was in my town...
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 7:15 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• We didnt discuss it alot, but honsetly I think they knew more than I did about the election. They learned so much about it in school. They are 5 and 7. They both came home with stuff about their school election, who they voted for and why. They were telling me stuff I didnt know. Then I would look it up on the net!
    tdawn_21

Answer by tdawn_21 at 7:45 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• I am in your boat. My son is 2 1/2, and I involve him in some light political matters...I talked to him about the elections and voting, and he watched part of the election coverage while he played with his toys. He's also coming with me to a gay pride celebration/prop 8 protest this weekend...I feel that it's important to bring him up with an understanding that political involvement is important, and that he should always treat others fairly and equally, and stand up for what is right.
    nuclear_sugar

Answer by nuclear_sugar at 8:11 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• grlygrlz2

Oh hey, we have Duck for President too!! Thanks for the book recommendations.
    nuclear_sugar

Answer by nuclear_sugar at 8:13 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• A little. They are 8, 10 and 11, and they know what the election is all about, who I voted for, and some of the stances of each candidate. My 10 yo came home from school bashing the candidate I wasn't voting for, and I very much discouraged that. I want them forming opinions on what THEY believe and feel, and to give all a fair chance.
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 8:28 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• Not yet, but when they are old enough I will.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:28 AM on Nov. 13, 2008