What are bean recipies you know of?

I have cut down on my meat intake because of the cost and just healthier. I really like having beans, lentil, tuna, eggs for my meat intake now. Any healthy recipes you know of I could use these/some in?

ChildGoddess

Asked by ChildGoddess at 11:22 PM on Jan. 15, 2011 in Food & Drink

• Lentil Soup
    6 cups of water with bouillon
    1 cup of rinsed lentils
    three sticks of chopped celery
    one chopped big onion
    one clove minced garlic
    a can of tomato saunce
    Pepper to taste
    I add a dash of red wine vinegar but dh doesn't like it so I add it to my bowl!
    Anonymous

• I throw black beans into all kinds of things. Any kind of Mexican recipe or Mexican inspired recipe get a cup of black beans thrown in somewhere. For a quick meal, you can throw some beans and pico de gallo topped with a little cheese in a whole wheat tortilla. Super easy! You can also add beans to a salad, which is very easy. Almost any beans will work (garbanzo, kidney, pinto, etc). Hard boiled eggs are great, too. Bring a pot of water to a boil, put in the eggs for 14 minutes exactly (for large eggs), then remove them and put them in an ice bath for at least 15 minutes. Keep them in the fridge. They make a great quick snack, and they're yummy on a salad.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:23 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I make a good "soup" with beans. Get a 16 bean soup mix and a smoked turkey leg. Sort and rinse the beans. Put them in a stock pot and cover with chicken STOCK about 2" over the top of the beans and put the turkey leg in. Add in about 1 teaspoon of salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cover. Simmer for about an hour and a half. Check the beans. Cover and continue to cook until they are softened. Remove the turkey leg. Pull the meat off the bone and mix the meat into the soup. Serve with cornbread. VERY yum.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 5:00 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I make French market bean soup
    Librarylady60

Answer by Librarylady60 at 8:52 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• We don't eat meat, so we eat a lot of beans (and lentils). Send me a message if you would like some great recipes!

Answer by rkoloms at 9:48 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Beer baked beans , sorry not too healthy, but its the only way I like them
    * 4 strips bacon
    * 1 medium red onion, diced
    * 2 (28-ounce) cans baked beans
    * 1/4 cup ketchup
    * 1/4 cup spicy brown mustard
    * 3 tablespoons molasses
    * 1 (12-ounce) bottle lager beer

Directions

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Slice each slice of bacon into 4 pieces. Cook in a large pot over medium heat, until fat is rendered, but bacon is not yet crispy.

In pan with bacon fat, cook chopped onion until soft, about 5 minutes. Add remaining ingredients, stir to combine. Bring to boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.

Carefully transfer with a ladle to a 2-quart casserole dish. Place on foil-lined baking sheet and bake 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until beans are desired thickness.
    luvschocolate

Answer by luvschocolate at 7:23 PM on Jan. 16, 2011