I haven't been able to sleep since a certain stressful situation occurred, what can I do? :( It's been 2 months.

Ever since something happened about 2 months ago...I haven't been able to sleep at night. If I lay down at 10pm I will literally lay there awake until about 7am, this is a problem as I have to be up and on the go at 8am. I don't take naps during the day or anything so I'm literally getting maybe an hour a night. After about 4 nights of 1 hour of sleep I will get at most 5 hours the next night and then the cycle starts over.

I've tried "counting sheep," tried relaxing music, tried going to bed earlier, tried drinking warm milk or tea before bed and nothing is helping.

I'm not doing anything different than normal! Not eating any differently or anything like that and when I'm trying to sleep I'm not normally worrying about anything or thinking about what happened...my mind is usually pretty blank I just cannot fall asleep! The last time I got good sleep was for new years when I had a babysitter and drank a little too much ha...

What can I do? :(

davila26

Asked by davila26 at 11:34 PM on Jan. 15, 2011 in Health

• What was the stressful situation?
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 11:36 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• for your own sanity, I would suggest you "drink a little too much" again!.....and also talk to your doctor.
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 11:37 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• See your doc... you may need a few months of an anti-anxiety med or a sleep med like Lunesta. Either way your doc can help... But you need to be honest with your doc as to what occurred so they can help you!! Meds don't have to be permanent, but they can help you thru the worst of it!! ((((hugs))) Been there!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 11:38 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• need toaddress the issue that happened
    try to set a timer (for hour or whatever works for you)
    allow your self to think about it at that time, when timer goes off tell yourself not hinking until next timer time set aside
    saying a montra when you go to bed
    warm bath before bed
    a boring book to read in bed
    if you find you wake and not alseep after 20 minutes, get up, go to bathroom, or get a small glass of water, but get out of bed for ten minutes tops, do a normal thing and go back to bed

but sounds like YOU KNOW you have to address the issue which is on your mind

ps
    something i am still workingon (and i am 45!) you have to let go of things that you are not in control of and also things that are not yours to change, if the problem is someone elses issue-give it up to God/Fate/the universe...whatever you think it hand it over to

good luck
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 11:39 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Go to a doc! I say from experience. Since 1997 I have been sleeping lije you, finally last year I decided I had had enough. I talked to my doc, I am now going to have a sleep study done. I waited way to long. Sleeping pills no longer work unless I take 3 which can not be good! Going without a good nights sleep is so bad for you in so many ways. So many side effects to your health. Do not wait.
    Noosa

Answer by Noosa at 11:41 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• The situation will get better...it's just that it's a matter of years and that's not helpful in the present. So I think I will talk to my doctor...I just don't like taking meds for anything, but I'm starting to feel physically ill from not sleeping now.
    davila26

Comment by davila26 (original poster) at 11:43 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Try hypnosis. You can get relaxation and sleep recordings to listen to while you're falling asleep, and whenever you wake in the night.

Insomniacs who are convinced they're sleeping 'maybe an hour' a night, in recorded sleep studies are found to be sleeping more than 5 hours --it's just because we have a hard time remembering sleeping, and when you find yourself alert and tossing around again, it's hard to know how long it's been going on so all you can do is look at the clock.

If you aren't hallucinating while you're walking around during the day, you're sleeping more than you know. But hypnosis will help a lot.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 11:56 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I think you should definitely seek help, but before taking medications, i would go see a therapist who might be able to help you work through the stress. Meds may very well be necessary, but if the psychological aspect is not addressed, they are only a band-aid covering a wound that's not healing. Seriously, see if you can find a good counselor! I'm so sorry for your stressful events. Hang in there!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 11:59 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Adelicious is right... I forgot to mention counseling!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 12:07 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Pick up a bottle of Valerian Root. Just make sure it doesn't have any fillers or a bunch of junk added to it. 1 pill knocks me out but everyone differs. Start with 1 and see if it works. You can take up to 3. It's so much better than melatonin. I've suffered from insomnia my whole life and have tried everything. Valerian Root is natural. I get a deep sleep and wake up feeling great. It will get you back on the right path to a great night's sleep. Good Luck.
    sarchasmicangel

Answer by sarchasmicangel at 12:27 AM on Jan. 16, 2011