Why is this so unsettling for me? I can't shake it.

I just watched the news tonight to hear that a 25 year old woman was killed in a car accident on the road I take to work every day. Her 2 year old was safe in the back seat, in her carseat. The woman had no seatbelt on. She slipped on the ice, spun out, flew into the opposite direction of traffic. I don't know her and it's really bothering me. I'm always sad to hear news like this, but this is weird.

Musicmom80

Asked by Musicmom80 at 11:47 PM on Jan. 15, 2011 in Relationships

• because like her
    you are a mom
    you take the same road
    and are mortal

be grateful for each day
    say a prayer (or whatever you do) for her family

thoughts of death (close to home ones) very hard to take when you are a parent

hugs
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 11:50 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• It probably just hit home since it was on a road that you drive on everyday. I get freaked out when I hear about people dying on roads I'm always on too. Maybe subconciously you're scared because it could have been you or someone you know?
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 11:50 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I don't know --do you always wear your seatbelt?

All the time?

Actually?

Perhaps it's nothing more than a shocking reminder that we don't ever plan to have an accident.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 11:52 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Yes I wear my seatbelt. It has nothing to do with that.

She was so young! That baby has no mom! I think I may have known her, I'm not sure. I have a lot of clients. I almost started crying.
    Musicmom80

Comment by Musicmom80 (original poster) at 11:53 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Oh man, how tragic! So sad that mom wasn't wearing her seatbelt! Let this be a lesson to ourselves to buckle up!!!
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 11:54 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• How sad... A friend of a freind of ours was driving her family home new years even and went off the side of the road into a creek. She rescued her two small sons, but when she pulled her husband out she couldn't revive him. She's due to have her 3rd baby in April. Sometimes I don't even know how to deal with the sadness and fear that come from hearing such a story, accept to pray for her and her children. And to pray that God will give me the internal strength if I ever have to face such a thing. Then I have to choose to think about something else.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 11:55 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• That is horrible, and possibly her death was avoidable, which makes it worse. That poor child.

I saw a group of people putting up a big cross with flowers along a road I travel today, and it really bothered me. It is a reminder that life can be very short and end in a very tragic way. Keep wearing your seat belt!
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 12:04 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• This is why seat belt laws are a necessity, and it shouldn't be a personal choice.
    You can't shake it because you are human, and you are feeling empathy. And sympathy for the family. Which is a good thing, even though it hurts. If she was a client, then maybe you can do something for the family, that would be very thoughtful. Otherwise, just hug your family extra close!
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 12:21 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• It probably upsets you because you can relate. Who knows. I heard a story some time back about a baby girl who was abused unmercifully and died as a result. It haunted me for weeks.
    Bennett121

Answer by Bennett121 at 1:36 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I agree with others when they say it's because you can relate to her situation. Being a mother, taking that same road, etc...
    something similar happened to me a while back. Someone in my area was murdered, cut up into pieces, and them buried in a shallow grave behind a shopping center. I was totally obsessing about the story, and I thought it was just because things like that usually don't happen in my area. But after I thought about it, this girl had a lifestyle similar to my sister. (same image, similar occupation, both have a son, etc)
    mama2br00ke

Answer by mama2br00ke at 12:06 PM on Jan. 16, 2011