5 year olds friends always playing death

So my 5 yr old daughters friend lives across the street they sit next to each other in class too. When she comes over to play, she also seems to be like oh well so n so died or this toy is dead .. i know she around adults all the time i went to HS w/ her siblings ( she was the lateer in life baby). But i dont really like all the death play, my kids know about death and thing i try to tell her stuff like lets pretend shes under a spell (like sleeping beauty or snow white) I dunno what do u guys think ? I want her to play over here cause they are friends ...

Cherriemama831

Asked by Cherriemama831 at 11:49 PM on Jan. 15, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Play therapy ... kids encounter all kinds of Big Ideas they can't handle, so they play them out. It's why play is a great barometer of how a child's handling the stuff of life.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 11:50 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I would just ask them to play something else.
    Brandiyanez

Answer by Brandiyanez at 11:51 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I'm not really touchy about death, and she sounds the same way. If you have explained it to your 5 yr old, then I wouldn't worry about it. Just keep trying to redirect her like you have been. Beyond that I'm not sure there is anything else you can do, short of not letting her come over and play.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 11:51 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• It's really not that big of a deal. Death is everywhere. TV, real life, etc. When they see it, or it happens, or someone just learns about it, kids tend to play it out. When my 5yo gramma died she talked about death for 3 months straight. Even had a barbie funeral. She's over it now.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:51 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• They probably know someone who died. It's healthy for them to get it out. My bil died. My kids talk about it all the time. I don't discourage it.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:52 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• My 4 yr old does that, i think kids are curious and they pick up on little things. Its pretty normal
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 11:58 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I know im not discourging it and i know its normal for kids to play thing out, i just dont think it should be every time and everything they play.. its not that it bothers me its just like ur playing the barbie died again or its like all the toys died .. i dunno i guess just cuz my kids dont play that..
    Cherriemama831

Comment by Cherriemama831 (original poster) at 12:01 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• It is very normal for kids that age to play "death", they are learning about their world and that includes death. Let them be.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:02 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• and its like shell say the puppy died and my daughter will be tell her no i dont wanna play that , and shell yell out Oh no its to late he died already ..
    Cherriemama831

Comment by Cherriemama831 (original poster) at 12:03 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• That is a great control if you ask me. I would tell the little girl at the door that dying and death games are not allowed today, so if she wants to come in and play with dd, she has to choose another way to play today. If not, send her on her merry, or deathly way. Play or no play, that wouldn't fly for more than one playdate at my house either. There are more constructive uses of their time together. Your house, your rules!
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 12:26 AM on Jan. 16, 2011