How can I help my kid read with ADD?

My little boy is struggling with reading and spelling. His teacher said that he was going to fail first grade. Are there any good computer programs to help kids read, and any advice with helping him.

jdefrenn

Asked by jdefrenn at 1:47 AM on Nov. 13, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My kids like star fall. It is a website that has reading games on it. www.starfall.com. we also use fun Brain a lot. www.funbrain.com

Lastly, i have never been on this site, it does look like a good one though
    http://faculty.usiouxfalls.edu/arpeterson/computer_lab.htm#First

When my kids were little we had this Dr. Seuss game Dr. Seuss Reading Games. My kids loved it.
    Good Luck
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:15 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• Try starfall.com. It's a pretty cool site. It's very easy for a child to use and it's interactive.
    vannahs

Answer by vannahs at 7:16 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• Just because your child has ADD doesn't mean that you need to teach them to read any differently than one without.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:35 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• This isn't a computer program, but I know of an awesome book. The title is Teach your child to read in 100 easy lessons by Siegfried Engelmann, Phyllis Haddox, and Elaine Bruner. The lessons are short, about 15 minutes each and spell out exactly what to say. A perfect tool for short attention span or young children. I am not that familiar with ADD but think this book would be good for any child with any learning disability.
    Awanata

Answer by Awanata at 4:35 PM on Nov. 13, 2008