I have a real problem getting rid of books

I remember reading the book to them.
I think they will want to hear it again.
We have so many books.
And we are getting more all the time.
What criteria do you use to decide what has to go?
I am not sure what category this should go under.

tootoobusy

Asked by tootoobusy at 12:27 AM on Jan. 16, 2011 in General Parenting

• I know where you're coming from! I HATE to get rid of books.... my usual method is this: after spring cleaning, I look over my bookshelves & read each title one by one. If I can't remember what the book was about just by the title, I donate it. If I can remember the story, I try to think of what my reaction to it was. The "Well, it was ok"s get donated. The "I enjoyed this one"s get kept, & if I can't remember my reaction to it, I mark it with a sticky note on the spine & read it before I decide. I hope this helps!

KA91

Answer by KA91 at 12:53 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I dump books I dislike... trite or poor illustrations, snotty or condescending writing, stories with obnoxious messages or even obnoxious behaviour.

If I love a book, I don't care what shape it's in --unless it's replaced, I keep it.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 12:32 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• i can't remember a time i threw out a book (unless it was torn up), i give them away if i don't want them. i think i have given out maybe five books bc i love them! my son is only four so he loves to repeat books, i don't give his out.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 12:29 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I keep my kids favorite books. The rest get donated or taken to our used book store for credit. If your children are little just get rid of the books that are no longer age appropriate & keep their favorites. Hope that helps.
    sarchasmicangel

Answer by sarchasmicangel at 12:31 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I am SUCH the wrong person to ask about that. I love the old books too and we have way too many...I will wait and read the answers to this one with you!
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 12:31 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• i try to keep all the books i know they are interested in.
    stressedoutgran

Answer by stressedoutgran at 1:35 AM on Jan. 16, 2011