Am I wrong..........

I am putting our daughter to bed and husband is cooking cinnomen rolls in the oven. I hear the timer going off for a bout 5 min (but after everything is was going off for 10) husband was sleeping in chair and didnt hear the timer. My step son( his son) was sitting on the couch the whole time and I asked him why he didnt wake his dad up and he said" cause i didnt want to disturbe him" He is 9 yrs old and I think he should have known to wake him up if its in there burning AM I WRONG? This kid always does things like this where he doesnt use his commen sense.....

Mrs.Norris

Asked by Mrs.Norris at 12:38 AM on Jan. 16, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• OMG seriously...a 9yo can't use his brain to say "oh, timer is going off, I better do something"? If that is the case the parents are seriously lacking somewhere. Even my 4yo knows if the oven goes off to get a parents. My 9yo would probably just get whatever it is out of the oven on his own (might ask first if it was actually done, though).
    A 9yo is not a baby and can be responsible. I'm constantly amazed at the number of people that treat their 9 and 10 year olds like they are 2 or 3.
    I'm afraid for this world when these kids get older and are supposed to run the country.
    If one of my kids just sat there while the food burned I would beyond pissed.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:48 PM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Yes, you are wrong. Interesting that you wrote the question expecting that to be the issue.

It is unreasonable to expect a 9yo to act like, or think like, an adult. He doesn't have the brain for that yet.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 12:39 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• If those where my cinnamon rolls burning in that oven you better believe I would have been waking you people up! lol. Remind him that if an oven timer goes off, it is really important that he tell an adult, sleeping or not
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 12:42 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• you even said "This kid always does things like this where he doesnt use his commen sense....." soo why would you expect him to act any other way?? my daughter (6), on the other hand, if a timer goes off..she will run and find me no matter what.

your husband, however, should not have fallen asleep knowing hes cooking something in the oven!!

alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 12:42 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• My little sister just turned 10, & she is a diddlehead like that! She never does (or doesn't do, depending on the situation) anything with the intent to mess up or hurt someone, she just doesn't think. I was like that myself, actually. I just had to grow out of it!  About the only thing to do, I guess, is keep trying with the repetition. Reinforce the idea that if something could get damaged (something left in the oven, for example) that he needs to tell somebody. I hope you find something that works!

KA91

Answer by KA91 at 1:15 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• "Common Sense" just isn't "common"..... after you tell the 9 year old once or twice what to do in this situation, THEN he should know. But you are truly being unfair to expect him to just know what to do.

You remind me of this mom I met, who was disgusted that her 5 year old couldn't recognize the number "1". I was incredulous the woman didn't realize that SHE needed to TEACH the 5 year old what it was.........and THEN he would know....
    TLALONDE16

Answer by TLALONDE16 at 12:44 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Thank you everyone and I dont know why I think he is older than his age its just things will happen and i explain it to him how it really goes or the right thing to do and sometimes He will do things and i ask do you do this at your moms he will say no then I say Then we dont do that here but it still happens constintly...With the timer thing he cooks at his moms and he would tell his mom when it goes off why not my HOUSE? Thank you for any more comments...
    Mrs.Norris

Comment by Mrs.Norris (original poster) at 12:49 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• i think you should just remind him that if u hear the timer going off u need to tell somebody. Or by tht time u should of smelled it burning .. But ur husband should of not falling a sleep what if it was something on the stove,
    Cherriemama831

Answer by Cherriemama831 at 12:49 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I think I hear resentment towards the SS. He is not to blame that his parents are not together. He did not choose to have his father be with a new woman. Please look deep and find a way to care about him and not resent him.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 1:27 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• yes you were wrong. hes only nine
    stressedoutgran

Answer by stressedoutgran at 1:28 AM on Jan. 16, 2011